UL Certification Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlttlfld

Hey Yall

I have a few quick questions about the UL certification process.
I am trying to get a hanging "chandelier" UL certified. It consist of a structural frame that hangs from the ceiling that in turn supports/has five light cubes hanging from that. It is more of a modern chandelier then an 18th century chandelier.

I am trying to brain storm with my team and think of what the UL engineers are going to test for and how. We are looking at our current design to see if it would pass the testings or if within the first hour of testing it would faith. Knowing what the paces the UL engineers are going to put our fixture through before accepting a testing contract would be very beneficial.

If anyone has gone through this process before or even has testing electrical items as described above, write back. Thanks for yalls time.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most of us here don't deal with UL approvals so have you tried contacting them? I would guess the lamp size and the safety factor are 2 things. Will the lamp size and fixture design hurt the sockets, is the fixture appropriately grounded. I would still try contacting them.

I will pm you someone from UL who may be able to help

plugman

Contact UL and find out what standard they will be testing your fixture to. From there, you can order a copy of the standard from the Comm-2000 website and find out exactly what tests the UL Engineers will be performing. I would suggest performing most, if not all, of the tests yourselves before you pay to have UL do it. That way you will know if you need to change your design before you pay for expensive testing.

UL does not certify or approve any products. They List and label products. To get you product listed or labeled you have to meet the standards that they write for your product. There may be many. Like plugman said you should try to obtain them and then engineer your product to meet the standards. It can be quite a process if you do it in reverse order. The trick is to find your category you come under which should be easy as a lighting fixture. Each component will need to meet the standards individually and the as a complete assembly you can submit.

They have quite a good website that can walk you through the process and answer your questions on timing. They also offer assistance for China.

If you have it manufactured for you, the factory may be large enough to have an inspector onsite. I have done this with several products I have had manufactured in China with as little as 50 pieces. The problem is intellectual property rights. Which are non existent there.

mgookin

I have experience with this. I own a factory that manufactures listed product. The products have their listings, and the factory has what's called an "ATM" or Authorization To Mark.

Are you doing this to take to market en masse, or are you doing it to get some rich guy's dream luminaire blessed to the satisfaction of the AHJ? If going to market, stick with UL. If a one time thing, look at Intertek IMO (quicker).

They don't care if it works or how long it lasts. They care if it's going to electrocute someone or catch fire. (think "underwriter's" laboratories meaning insurance companies - what do they care about? liability!)

The easiest way through the process is to use already listed components and subassemblies. Don't make your own plug, cord, receptacles, etc. Use all listed product or product salvaged from listed assemblies. As to the framework of a chandelier, they're not going to give that much attention. But with everything else, if it's not listed then each unlisted thing has to go through the whole process as an independent new thing.

You'll pay around $7500 to list the product and another $2500 to list the facility that made it. Don't hesitate to negotiate on both cost & time with them.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.