Green fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
130615-1207 EDT

This forum has a major problem and times out my login while I am composing a post. There are also other major problems that have occurred over several years as the software was changed.

Back to what I was posting.

130615-1005 EDT

Last night was our mayor's annual green fair. Three blocks of Main street are blocked off for various exhibits. As an aside this street has LED lights.

One exhibit was by a remodeler that previously presented a seminar I had attended. In that seminar they had mentioned a power conditioner that would increase the life of loads and lower energy consumption. I confronted them on that device. And in talking with them following the seminar I learned they had installed a couple units at about 1500 to 2000 dollars. At this time I informed them that these were a fraud. No energy saving. Whether they are still suggesting such installations I don't know and they weren't saying anything explicit at the fair. I don't believe these are dishonest people, just uninformed.

They are doing remodels that are reducing whole house energy consumption. Mostly by insulation, windows, and ground based heat pumps. However, on their plots the vertical axis is labeled kWh, but the continuous line plot is not a monotonically increasing curve as it would have to be. The label as drawn should probably be kWh/month, and should not be a continuous line plot.

Next to an exhibit that is really strange by an LED company, and the person's card had P.E. attached to his name. This company lists themselves as LED Lighting Experts. The display consisted of some sort of claimed wattmeter, switches to sockets, and one 60 W incandescent, one 13 W CFL (presumably 5 years in use), and a couple small LEDs. Their claim was that the CFL gradual consumed more power over its life while maintaining about the same light output. Their demonstration showed 44 W for this 13 W bulb. I think they were trying say that LEDs were much better. I disputed their claim that CFL consume grossly more power with age. I think they believe this increase in power, but if it exists then there is a major internal failure before the bulb quits emitting light. Further, the CFL can not consume 30 additional watts of power without major damage to the base area. I did not see any browning on their bulb's base where the fluorescent tube comes out of the base.

Afterwards at home I tested three CFLs that have mostly been run continuously for a number of years. All three have considerable browning.

A 14 W started at about 14.2 W, increased to 15.3 W, and has trended down to at least 13.9 W after about 5 minutes.

An 18/19 W started at 19.3 W, increased to 21.9 W, and dropped to 19.2 W after a few minutes. Fluke IR 62 Mini about 200 F on bulb when on, about 180 F just after off, and base is in range of 90 F.

A 27 W started at 24.9 W, increased to 26.5 W, and dropped to 23.7 W after about 20 minutes.

All bulbs were generally in the 0.6 PF range. Measurement was with a Kill-A-Watt EZ. This EZ unit reads 0 PF and 3W on a 5 A capacitive load.

I hope to be able to test the demonstrated CFL with my instrumentation and see what I read. They are not in their office today.

I had an interesting discussion with a PhD student related to his thesis area on distributed wind sources to reduce the grid instability problem from instantaneous variations in wind. Previously I saw a comment on a Danish study that implied that at about 15% of total energy supplied by wind was the maximum that a grid could tolerate without instability. To go higher means some sort of instantaneous load shedding is needed. Thus, diversification of wind source may be a partial solution. Talked with another person suggesting use of our vast underground cavities for energy storage with compressed air. However, compressed air is much less efficient than pumped water storage. But environmentalists are preventing any more Ludington type pumped water facilities. The time constant of Ludington is probably sufficient for short time wind variation, but certainly can not handle a 1 day period,

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know much about your login issues. I only manually log in once in a great while - like every few months. Otherwise my browser remembers my log in and I almost never see the log in screen.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I confronted them on that device. And in talking with them following the seminar I learned they had installed a couple units at about 1500 to 2000 dollars. At this time I informed them that these were a fraud. No energy saving. Whether they are still suggesting such installations I don't know and they weren't saying anything explicit at the fair. I don't believe these are dishonest people, just uninformed.
Next to an exhibit that is really strange by an LED company, and the person's card had P.E. attached to his name. This company lists themselves as LED Lighting Experts. The display consisted of some sort of claimed wattmeter, switches to sockets, and one 60 W incandescent, one 13 W CFL (presumably 5 years in use), and a couple small LEDs. Their claim was that the CFL gradual consumed more power over its life while maintaining about the same light output. Their demonstration showed 44 W for this 13 W bulb. I think they were trying say that LEDs were much better. I disputed their claim that CFL consume grossly more power with age. I think they believe this increase in power, but if it exists then there is a major internal failure before the bulb quits emitting light. Further, the CFL can not consume 30 additional watts of power without major damage to the base area. I did not see any browning on their bulb's base where the fluorescent tube comes out of the base.

I would say that the LED guy was using a VA meter rather than a watt meter, and he was using a variation on the power conditioner scam.
The abbreviation P.E. on the man's card speaks to his qualifications and his licensing, but sadly does not say anything about his ethics.

(BTW, I hope that your K-a-W actually showed 5 VA rather than 5 watts when you attached the capacitor. The PF of zero indicates that it did recognize the difference. )

Last edited by a moderator:

gar

Occupation
EE
130615-1740 EDT

GoldDigger:

I suspect something fishy about the demonstration. But I do not know what yet.

The Kill-A-Watt is really a rather good instrument for the money, $30.

With a 68 ufd capacitor as the only load, internally there is an MOV or two across the capacitor, the readings are 123 V, 3.28 A, 2 or 3 W, 405 VA, 0 PF. Hand calculation is 403.4 VA. The results are consistent with only less than 1% error in the wattage with a very large VA reading as the reference, and if you compare against full scale, 15*120 = 1800, then the error is less than 3/1800 = 0.17%. For a low cost instrument to do this well I consider it very good. And there is an unknown loss in the MOV.

13 w at 0.6 PF is about 22 VA and that is a long way from 44 VA. So something else is wrong. This person's so called watt meter was reading about the correct value on the small LED bulbs as well as the 60 W incandescent, and the LEDs are likely to have bad power factor. I only have 1 LED bulb, it is older, I don't know where it is, but my recollection is that PF was in the .6 range.

My big problem with the P.E. is that I don't think he was asking why this strange reading.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
One exhibit was by a remodeler that previously presented a seminar I had attended. In that seminar they had mentioned a power conditioner that would increase the life of loads and lower energy consumption. I confronted them on that device. And in talking with them following the seminar I learned they had installed a couple units at about 1500 to 2000 dollars. At this time I informed them that these were a fraud. No energy saving. Whether they are still suggesting such installations I don't know and they weren't saying anything explicit at the fair. I don't believe these are dishonest people, just uninformed.

as for the honesty.... all you really need to see is what their COST that they
pay for what they are installing for $1,500 to $2,000 is. betcha it's under $150.

i've got an old post on these "magic" boxes that "cheat" the electric company.
i happened to be in a stereo shop when one of these wizards came in... i said
"let me go get my meters, and we shall see.. if it really works, i can sell ten of
them a month for you...." or words to that ilk.

he had some pressing thing he had to attend to... we never did get around to
that test....

every so often someone will prop the dead horse up here one more time, and
we all take turns beating it, just on principle.

gar

Occupation
EE
130618-1513 EDT

Today I visited the exhibitor at his office with some of my equipment and components.

First, he is a civil engineer with negligible electrical training. Although he should be trained to think and ask questions when a result seems abnormal, he did not.

If you have a device rated at 13 W and a meter reads an input of 44 W or so, then where is that extra 30 W going? Probably heat. Then something has to get very hot in that small 13 W CFL.

The lighting business is in addition to their normal business. and since they have close connections with the city and "green" people, they are jumping on the bandwagon.

The meter they used in their display is the problem and not the CFL bulbs. This meter is labeled as a wattmeter, and is approximately correct on a unity power factor load, and grossly in error on an 0.6 or 0.0 power factor. It is worse than simply a volt-ampere measurement, 44 W on a 13 W 0.6 PF load. The VA reading should be about 22 not 44.

I took several aged CFLs of different ratings and some capacitors for loads and one of my Kill-A-Watt EZ meters. All of my loads read about as expected. So did the exhibitor's CFL read as would be expected. Now he will return his so called wattmeter and get a Kill-A-Watt.

I also discussed power factor correction scams with him. He bought one for $250 and installed it, and saw no difference. At least he admitted seeing no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.