CCTV monitor displaying a different input when no motion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieJ612

Hi all, first time poster here.

I'm working on a CCTV system for a client and I'm running into a request I haven't seen before, and I was hoping to get some feedback on the best possible ways to achieve my end goal.

The system will consist of a camera monitoring a hallway. A display will be mounted outside of the hallway. When there is no motion in the hallway, the monitor is to display CNN or some sort of news station. Once motion is detected, the monitor will then switch to live feedback of the hallway.

I'm wondering what the best possible way of doing this is. I know cameras are capable of determining when there is motion. Would there be a way to change inputs on the monitor (probably a flatscreen TV) to the CCTV input when it is recording, and then back to input 2 (cable, dish, etc.) when the camera is not recording? I also thought of possibly controlling this with a seperate occ sensor in the hallway.

Looking for any feedback!

Thanks,

-Steve

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Welcome :thumbsup:

Don't know of anything in particular, and don't have any experience... but your post piqued my curiosity. Found the following while Googling (not a recommendation)

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=80

I think a lot of the automated switchers are for switching to a secondary video feed when signal is lost on the primary input. Using a camera system feed as primary, it would have to terminate or otherwise output an invalid video signal in "sleep" mode.

nhfire77

It sounds like you are not recording this camera, or are you?

Some cameras have discreet alarm outputs, mapped to motion. Changing inputs would involve a video matrix switcher. They are 600-$2000. I bet there is a cheaper version but not sure a 'professional' product is made for that. Probably a consumer grade device.

A separate monitor, or a multiplexer to create a split screen may be cheaper.

Simplex

Oh ***

Oh ***

You noobs...

Get a DVR. Having CCTV cameras without a DVR is a waste of customers money.

CNN is just an input to the DVR.

Map CNN to the DVR's output.

When camera #x detects motion, map it to the DVR output.

Otherwise default back to CNN.

CNN is not set to be recorded BTW

These are the basics. If you can't handle this given your chosen vendor/manufacturer, perhaps I get help you more. If you can't even select equipment based on these needs, hire a CCTV contractor (cause obviously you're not it)

Last edited by a moderator:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You noobs...

Get a DVR. Having CCTV cameras without a DVR is a waste of customers money.

CNN is just an input to the DVR.

Map CNN to the DVR's output.

When camera #x detects motion, map it to the DVR output.

Otherwise default back to CNN.

CNN is not set to be recorded BTW

These are the basics. If you can't handle this given your chosen vendor/manufacturer, perhaps I get help you more. If you can't even select equipment based on these needs, hire a CCTV contractor (cause obviously you're not it)
DUDE,

Judging from your most recent posts in this and another thread, you seem to believe you are superior in some way. I don't know whether you think you've earned that attitude, but I can assure you that have not with me and likely others. In fact I believe you have done nothing more than belittle yourself.

I'm not saying you don't know your stuff... but putting others down just because you believe you do doesn't help anyone... including yourself, from my point of view. But what do I know :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.