Has Anyone Ever Seen This Contraption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I didn't intend to say same thing you said in red above. If generator doesn't have a N-G bond but does have a GFCI, where is the unbalanced current going to flow to make it trip? Even a line to ground fault will not trip the GFCI as the return path will be through the GFCI neutral and should be equal magnitude as the "hot" conductor. If it does have a N-G bond then neutral current will split over the grounded and grounding conductors causing imbalance through GFCI and then it will trip.

I didn't say if it had one and not the other. I said if the genny was bonded, the device wouldn't work because the service would already be bonded, and would trip the genny's GFCI. It would be hard to trip a GFCI if there wasn't one on the genny. I understand how a GFCI works, I was just stating what the website instructions said.

Maybe if I (or the instructions) would have said: "if the generator is installed as a SDS, then the device/transfer switch wouldn't work because it doesn't switch the neutral, and assuming the genny also has a GFCI, it would trip."

Would that have been more clear?

kwired

Electron manager
I didn't say if it had one and not the other. I said if the genny was bonded, the device wouldn't work because the service would already be bonded, and would trip the genny's GFCI. It would be hard to trip a GFCI if there wasn't one on the genny. I understand how a GFCI works, I was just stating what the website instructions said.

Maybe if I (or the instructions) would have said: "if the generator is installed as a SDS, then the device/transfer switch wouldn't work because it doesn't switch the neutral, and assuming the genny also has a GFCI, it would trip."

Would that have been more clear?

Sorry, apparently I missed something first, and second time through. :slaphead:We did essentially say the same thing.

lancelot

New User
Occupation
Retail Electrical sales associate
This company has been around since at least the early 90's that I know of. Funny thing is I have never seen one of these in the wild. I'm not sure they have had much luck with the POCO's which is critical as it installs in their meter socket. I always thought it was a good concept, but for whatever reason has not caught on.
These have been very popular for the last couple of years. Extremely reliable and I have had no negative feed back from customers. Installs for no charge with most utilitys in our area. (some have not come on board) Unfortunatly the generlink plant is closed due to supply chain issues with no get well date at this time

Status
Not open for further replies.