Concealed Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Are we allowed to have romax and MC connectors behind sheetrock? At places like a recessed panel in a wall.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Are we allowed to have romax and MC connectors behind sheetrock? At places like a recessed panel in a wall.
If the sheetrock is part of an easily removable access panel over the connection, maybe. If a wire splice or termination is truly buried and not accessible from either side of the wall, it is not allowed.
But I suspect that you talking about connectors which feed into or out of the recessed panel where the wall trim is cut at the edge of the panel and does not allow access to the connector from the outside, where the fitting screws are (clamps threaded into the panel from the outside and attached while the wall was open, for example)?

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Yes Gold Digger, I was referring to the Branch circuit box connectors.For example a house sub panel in someones living room.

The OP wants to know if a cable connector can be concealed behind drywall where it enters a load center flush mounted in drywall.

The answer is yes.

312.4 says there cannot be more than 1/8" gap between a flush mount cabinet and the drywall, effectively concealing the connector.

Last edited:

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
the one I was wondering about is the MC speed lock,it snaps into the knock out with a set screw outside the box.But if its not an issue thats good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.