fire panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph320

Occupation
Electrician
I am bidding a job to gut and rewire a 3 family dwelling, is a fire/pull station system required or will hard wire smokes/co2 devices be sufficient? There is not one currently there

david

STANDARDS
? 403.21. Uniform Construction Code.
(i) The provisions of R314.4 requiring interconnected smoke alarms do not apply to one-family and two-family dwellings undergoing alterations, repairs or additions. Noninterconnected battery operated smoke alarms shall be installed in these dwellings.

? 7210.104. Application
Residential building." Detached one-family and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings which are not more than three stories in height with a separate means of egress which includes accessory structures.

(b) EXCLUSIONS. - This act shall not apply to:
(5) alterations to residential buildings which do not make structural changes or changes to means of egress, except as might be required by ordinances in effect pursuant to section 303(b)(1) or adopted pursuant to section 503. For purposes of this paragraph, a structural change does not include a minor framing change needed to replace existing windows or doors;
(6) repairs to residential buildings, except as might be required by ordinances in effect pursuant to section 303(b)(1) or adopted pursuant to section 503;

interconnected smoke alarms and co2 detector would be required if this building requires a permit for this work. you are best to contact the building officiaal

nhfire77

I am bidding a job to gut and rewire a 3 family dwelling, is a fire/pull station system required or will hard wire smokes/co2 devices be sufficient? There is not one currently there

Regardless of the I-codes, run a hypothetical by the fire dept/AHJ. Locally adopted amendments need to be considered.

david

Regardless of the I-codes, run a hypothetical by the fire dept/AHJ. Locally adopted amendments need to be considered.

The fire marshal is not the authority the building code official is. I suggested the OP run it past the building code official.

As far as amendments to the I codes I posted the states amendments in post #2. There is a general exclusion for one and two family dwellings. There is also an exclusion from the permit requirement for residential buildings as outlined in post two. Interconnected smokes and co2 detectors would meet the states adopted building code for a three family dwelling.
There are exclusions for alterations and repairs from the uniform construction code for residential building as out lined in post 2. Pay close attention to the key points in the states definition of residential.
? No more than three stories
? Separate means of egress from each dwelling
In other words contact the building official who is the authority in this municipality.

Status
Not open for further replies.