210-52 c 5 exception 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcooper

I read this as if I meet all the criteria in (2) and there is no means to mount the receptacle,you don't have to. Am I reading this right?

raider1

Staff member
I read this as if I meet all the criteria in (2) and there is no means to mount the receptacle,you don't have to. Am I reading this right?

The exception to 210.51(C)(5) allows you to install the required receptacle below the counter top when you have a island that has a counter top that is flat across its entire surface and there are no means to mount a receptacle above the counter top.

Keep in mind the first part of the exception that requires that the receptacle be installed no lower than 12" below the countertops surface and the countertop does not extend more than 6" beyond the suppoert base.

Chris

dcooper

I have an flat countertop on a peninsula that extends 16in. on the back and 12in. on the side..... The front is draws and cabinets. Is this exception allowing me to install the outlet on the peninsula? Or now saying it is not required?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Try these. They are sillite receptacles http://sillite.com/newconstruction.php

StepMixer.jpg
White_SCRW.jpg
scrw-face-cutout.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If it's a peninsula, What is prohibiting you from mounting the receptacle where the peninsula meets the wall?
That point might be too far from the end of the peninsula to meet the requirements (if it is a long peninsula.) It could be separated from the peninsula proper by the depth of the counter it attaches to.

That point might be too far from the end of the peninsula to meet the requirements (if it is a long peninsula.) It could be separated from the peninsula proper by the depth of the counter it attaches to.

Just did a kitchen with a "true" peninsula....not touching any other part of the countertop.... that's what I was thinking of.

From a previous thread I now recall, many on here believe when the peninsula is an "L" with the countertop the peninsula doesn't begin at the wall, it begins countertop width away from the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.