Proper name for Emergency system consisting of 700 and 702 loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Strictly speaking, an Emergency system implies an Article 700 system. So if you have a generator feeing only say, egress lighting and FA circuits, you'd have a single ATS and clearly this would be your Emergency system.

But what about the very common system that has an Emergency ATS and an Optional Standby ATS, what does one appropriately call that. The norm in the industry is to call it an "Emergency" system but it's NOT.

I'm looking for a term analogous to the Essential Electrical System for hospitals. i.e. a term for the entire generator system.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I cringe whenever I hear someone say "emergency generator," for essentially the same reasons you are asking this question. My take on the situation is that the generic term should be "backup generator," or "backup power system." That word, "backup," does not automatically throw you into either 700, 701, or 702, nor does it prevent you from opening one or more of those three articles.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Strictly speaking, an Emergency system implies an Article 700 system. So if you have a generator feeing only say, egress lighting and FA circuits, you'd have a single ATS and clearly this would be your Emergency system.

But what about the very common system that has an Emergency ATS and an Optional Standby ATS, what does one appropriately call that. The norm in the industry is to call it an "Emergency" system but it's NOT.

I'm looking for a term analogous to the Essential Electrical System for hospitals. i.e. a term for the entire generator system.

Will this help?

517.30 Essential Electrical Systems for Hospitals. See related ROP ROC (A) Applicability. The requirements of Part III, 517.30 through 517.35, shall apply to hospitals where an essential electrical system is required.

Informational Note No. 1: For performance, maintenance, and testing requirements of essential electrical systems in hospitals, see NFPA 99-2005, Standard for Health Care Facilities. For installation of centrifugal fire pumps, see NFPA 20-2010, Standard for the Installation of Stationary Fire Pumps for Fire Protection.

Informational Note No. 2: For additional information, see NFPA 99-2005, Standard for Health Care Facilities.

(B) General.

(1) Separate Systems. Essential electrical systems for hospitals shall be comprised of two separate systems capable of supplying a limited amount of lighting and power service that is considered essential for life safety and effective hospital operation during the time the normal electrical service is interrupted for any reason. These two systems shall be the emergency system and the equipment system. See related ROP ROC

(2) Emergency Systems. The emergency system shall be limited to circuits essential to life safety and critical patient care. These are designated the life safety branch and the critical branch. [99:4.4.2.2.1.1] See related ROP ROC

(3) Equipment System. The equipment system shall supply major electrical equipment necessary for patient care and basic hospital operation. See related ROP ROC

(4) Transfer Switches. The number of transfer switches to be used shall be based on reliability, design, and load considerations. Each branch of the emergency system and each equipment system shall have one or more transfer switches. One transfer switch shall be permitted to serve one or more branches or systems in a facility with a maximum demand on the essential electrical system of 150 kVA. See related ROP ROC UL

Informational Note No. 1: See NFPA 99-2005, Standard for Health Care Facilities: 4.4.3.2, Transfer Switch Operation Type I; 4.4.2.1.4, Automatic Transfer Switch Features; and 4.4.2.1.6, Nonautomatic Transfer Device Features.

Informational Note No. 2: See Informational Note Figure 517.30, No. 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.