Fluorescent ballast conductor colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I am looking at bidding a job that requires retro fitting approx. 300 4 lamp t-12 troughers to t-8. They are half switched fixtures and will again require 2 ballasts as opposed to (1)4 lamp ballast. In looking at the new electronic ballasts the wiring configuration is different. My question is do the wires leading from the tombstones out into the wiring trough have to correspond (color wise) to the ballast leads? I still need to pull the lampholder brkt out of the fixture, but if I can get away without having to pull out the snap in conductor in the tombstone just to change it's color I will. Was told by the sales person supplying the ballasts to the customer that the new ballasts were a direct replacement and that no wiring change was required.The new electronics have 2 fewer leads. Thanks.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am looking at bidding a job that requires retro fitting approx. 300 4 lamp t-12 troughers to t-8. They are half switched fixtures and will again require 2 ballasts as opposed to (1)4 lamp ballast. In looking at the new electronic ballasts the wiring configuration is different. My question is do the wires leading from the tombstones out into the wiring trough have to correspond (color wise) to the ballast leads? I still need to pull the lampholder brkt out of the fixture, but if I can get away without having to pull out the snap in conductor in the tombstone just to change it's color I will. Was told by the sales person supplying the ballasts to the customer that the new ballasts were a direct replacement and that no wiring change was required.The new electronics have 2 fewer leads. Thanks.

The colors do not have to match. Just make sure you follow the wiring diagram on the ballast.
Also, the tombstones will have to be shunted. That will also be shown on the wiring diagram.

Just a note to add, you can get single ballasts to drive 4 lamps.

fmtjfw

But not to allow you to switch the two pairs on and off independently, which the OP stated was a requirement, to match the currently installed system.

Actually you can, there are 4 bulb ballasts that have a single power feed and a pilot wire that can be switched to select 2 or 4 bulbs.

See for instance Diag. 75 (and following diagrams) on page I-35... in http://www.lighting.philips.com/pwc_li/us_en/connect/advance/assets/1-01_to_1-69_Atlas2012.pdf

DISCLOSURE: I used to work for Philips Medical and I do own about 1000 shares of Royal Dutch Phillips Electronics.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Actually you can, there are 4 bulb ballasts that have a single power feed and a pilot wire that can be switched to select 2 or 4 bulbs.

See for instance Diag. 75 (and following diagrams) on page I-35... in http://www.lighting.philips.com/pwc_li/us_en/connect/advance/assets/1-01_to_1-69_Atlas2012.pdf

DISCLOSURE: I used to work for Philips Medical and I do own about 1000 shares of Royal Dutch Phillips Electronics.

That does look handy for retrofit situations. I am particularly fond of the fact that you either leave the sense lead open (off) or connect it to the neutral or any phase wire (on).

Status
Not open for further replies.