Pull box sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 4 inch conduits on each side of my box it is going to be a angle pull there is a total of 6 conduits they all will have 3 400 mcm and a 2/0 ground what size will my pull box be

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have 3 4 inch conduits on each side of my box it is going to be a angle pull there is a total of 6 conduits they all will have 3 400 mcm and a 2/0 ground what size will my pull box be

How about trying to answer it yourself and then we will help.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can you show us how you arrived at that number ?
(there are many folks here that can give you the answer, but it's important for you to know how to obtain it)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Good start, but off a bit.
Your Code reference is 314,28
For angle pulls your basic rule is 6 X the conduit diameter, so we start with 6 x 4 = 24
To that you add the sum of the diameters of conduits in the same row...if your other 2 conduits are in the same row thats an adder of 8" for a total of 32".
This would be true for the two sides opposing the entries,
In this case, since you have nothing coming in the back, the depth would be what is needed for your conduits.
My guess would be a 32 x 32 x 6 or 8
There are a couple of other important conduit location measurements so please review 314.28

For angle pulls your basic rule is 6 X the conduit diameter, so we start with 6 x 4 = 24
To that you add the sum of the diameters of conduits in the same row...if your other 2 conduits are in the same row thats an adder of 8" for a total of 32".
In this case, since you have nothing coming in the back, the depth would be what is needed for your conduits.
There are a couple of other important conduit location measurements so please review 314.28

Thank you I do have another pull box with 6 conduits again 4 inch but 3 are going out the back and 3 from the side what will be the difference

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

If it's an angle pull how do you have conduits on "each side" of the box?
You should have either: side to bottom, or side to top, not each side.

How about trying to answer it yourself and then we will help.

Can you show us how you arrived at that number ?
(there are many folks here that can give you the answer, but it's important for you to know how to obtain it)

What did I miss between post #1 and #4? Seems there was some other posts from OP that aren't shown according to some of the questions asked back to him.

Maybe I'm blind or just slow, but something is confusing about this to me!:?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

What did I miss between post #1 and #4? Seems there was some other posts from OP that aren't shown according to some of the questions asked back to him.

Maybe I'm blind or just slow, but something is confusing about this to me!:?

I was wondering about that too. At first I thought of PM, but that did not make sense to reply to publicly without quoting, Then I though that perhaps the OP started the thread as a Moderated Member, and the Moderators could see posts that we did not see yet?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I was wondering about that too. At first I thought of PM, but that did not make sense to reply to publicly without quoting, Then I though that perhaps the OP started the thread as a Moderated Member, and the Moderators could see posts that we did not see yet?

Glad I'm not the only "old fart" that get's confused!:D

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Winner!
The missing posts are now showing!

Status
Not open for further replies.