Securing To Rubber Roof??

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

I wasn't sure how to properly secure our junction box to the rubber coated roof on a newly renovated hotel, so this is what we came up with. The fashioned strap is attached to the box via the threaded holes not used for the mounting bracket and ten epoxied to the roof. I have checked on both boxes (j-boxes for kitchen exhaust fans) over the course of the last couple of weeks and everything seems to be holding strong. If it's not correct, in a kind and thoughtful manner ;), let me know how to make it better next time. As always, thanks.

DoubleTree Roof Top Jbox.jpg

iwire

Staff member
You basically epoxied it to rubber that is not much thicker than a bicycle inner tube. :D

You have very likely voided the roofs warranty in that spot. Rubber roof often have 20 to 30 year warranties and you need to respect that if you want to stay on the customers good side.

If it was me I would have used an LB to turn the pipe horizontal and laid the box on its back ontop of some sleepers.

You also need some sleepers for the LFMC.

This link http://www.erico.us/products.asp?folderID=125 provides many options, B-line has the same type of products as well.

scook56

I wasn't sure how to properly secure our junction box to the rubber coated roof on a newly renovated hotel, so this is what we came up with. The fashioned strap is attached to the box via the threaded holes not used for the mounting bracket and ten epoxied to the roof. I have checked on both boxes (j-boxes for kitchen exhaust fans) over the course of the last couple of weeks and everything seems to be holding strong. If it's not correct, in a kind and thoughtful manner ;), let me know how to make it better next time. As always, thanks.

View attachment 8750 [/QUOTE]

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/miscellaneous/rooftopper-rooftop-supports/

These are the bomb :cool:

An LB, RMC & JB to RTU.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You basically epoxied it to rubber that is not much thicker than a bicycle inner tube. :D

You have very likely voided the roofs warranty in that spot. Rubber roof often have 20 to 30 year warranties and you need to respect that if you want to stay on the customers good side.

If it was me I would have used an LB to turn the pipe horizontal and laid the box on its back ontop of some sleepers.

You also need some sleepers for the LFMC.

This link http://www.erico.us/products.asp?folderID=125 provides many options, B-line has the same type of products as well.
I agree, you have to be very careful with these roofs. The mall here will only allow the original roofing company to seal holes and what not on their roof.

north star

~ = = ~

360Youth,

In a kind and thoughtful manner, ...you should have contacted
the building owner and asked them to provide you something
in writing, ...maybe some plans or a Scope of Work from an
RDP describing exactly as to how you should proceed......The
CYA Factor is given necessity on all projects......The work in
your submitted pic. looks good, but as others have stated,
what does it do to the warranty of that roof ?......If / When
you get a bill in the mail for XXXX thousands of dollars
to repair the [ potentially ] damaged roof, what will you do
then ? :eek:hmy:

= ~ ~ =

360Youth

I agree, you have to be very careful with these roofs. The mall here will only allow the original roofing company to seal holes and what not on their roof.

We did not seal any roof penetrations. The epoxied boot that our conduit comes through was installed by the roofer. We attached the bent aluminum strap with an epoxy listed for use with rubber. I'll do more research next time. Hadn't thought about the long term affects.

Status
Not open for further replies.