How Close is "Adjacent"

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanland

2011 NE 404.8 requires switches (and 240.24 same for circuit breakers) to be readily accessible. An exception is provided for switches adjacent to equipment. This makes sense for disconnects located by motors. But, adjacent is not defined in Section 100. The 2011 NEC handbook 240.24 has an explanatory note that basically defines "adjacent" as "next to." But, explanatory notes are not enforceable.

Does anyone know where in the NEC "adjacent" might be otherwise defined?

I would think that "adjacent" would be within sight or touch; if I can see the equipment or touch it, that may be close enough to be adjacent. But, it would be nice to have an NEC citation.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
2011 NE 404.8 requires switches (and 240.24 same for circuit breakers) to be readily accessible. An exception is provided for switches adjacent to equipment. This makes sense for disconnects located by motors. But, adjacent is not defined in Section 100. The 2011 NEC handbook 240.24 has an explanatory note that basically defines "adjacent" as "next to." But, explanatory notes are not enforceable.

Does anyone know where in the NEC "adjacent" might be otherwise defined?

I would think that "adjacent" would be within sight or touch; if I can see the equipment or touch it, that may be close enough to be adjacent. But, it would be nice to have an NEC citation.

I think it is approached in services. As in disconnecting means and overcurrent protection.
Imho adjacent means "next to", "beside"
not on the other side of the wall or room.
You will get lots of opinions on here. the only one you should be concerned with is what your inspector's definition of adjacent is.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That is a good question. The fact that the rule in 230.91 requires the OCPD to part of the service disconnect or be "located immediately adjacent thereto" implies that "adjacent" as used in the other code sections can be some distance away. If the code intended that the disconnect could be 50' away, they would have used the term "within sight" and not adjacent.
As the previous poster said...only the AHJ knows what "adjacent" means.

Status
Not open for further replies.