permits and payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I think what you mentioned in first paragraph applies in many areas in some way. Now the rest sounds like a lot of Bovine excrement, but I can't really give you much for advice on how to scoop it up, sounds like they have used it for fertilizer in most of your state:happyyes:

y'all suck. around here, you go buy the business license first.
price goes from around $100 a year to $650 or so a year.

long beach is IIRC is about $350 for six months.

once you have a license number, you can submit
plans, or see if you can get a permit issued at the
counter. expect to wait a good long while. my rule
of thumb is to show up as soon as they open, and
plan on half a day.

then you get to deal with the inspector, who may or
may not agree with the inspector who approved the
drawings.

i ended up with a job that the homeowner had been
trying to get a final on (kitchen remodel) for over a year.

there were two inspectors, and the homeowner would
do changes for one, call for inspection, and the other
inspector would come out, and want something different.
she never could get the same inspector twice.

robwire

Our policy is to do as much as we can by mail. Some jurisdictions won't take mailed applications or they officially take them but good luck asking about them afterwards.

I print the jacket and all the filled out technical subcode sections, sign where needed and get our EC holder to put his seal on anything involving branch circuit work. Then my drawings, equipment submittals, battery calculations (for fire alarm) and copies of my PE license and our company's fire equipment contractor's license (P-number, for us Jersey folks) go in the jacket too. The receptionist mails it all out with a cover sheet, and one week later I do a follow up to make sure they got it. Two weeks after they said they have received it I check the status. At some point they'll tell me, during a check-in or via voice mail that the permits are ready and the fee is $XXX, or the fill-in-the-blank subcode official needs to talk to me. Then I have Accounting cut a check, I send it in with a letter describing what it's for, the project location and what I expect back. I include a manila envelope with more than enough postage to cover mailing everything back.

That's the ideal situation. We don't like to send folks out to drop off and pick up permits 'cause it's expensive. Sometimes we can arrange it that the tech picks up the permits on his way in on the first day for a job, but the timing isn't usually there.

Our EC holder????? In NJ the owner has to hold the license.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yea but not in NJ. There is no "master" .

Which is why I posted what I posted.

The owner of the company does not have to hold the license. There are really two licenses. The electrical contractor's license is held by an individual. Then the company gets a license to do electrical work, and the individual with the contractor's license is listed as the responsible party. To wit:

45:5A-9. Necessity of business permit and license; qualifications; examinations; fees
(a) On or after July 1, 1963, no person shall advertise, enter into, engage in or work in
business as an electrical contractor, unless such person has secured a business permit and such
person or an officer, partner or employee who is or will be actively engaged in the business for
which a business permit is sought has obtained a license from the board in accordance with the
provisions of this act, and such licensee shall assume full responsibility for inspection and
supervision of all electrical work to be performed by the permittee in compliance with
recognized safety standards. A licensee shall not be entitled to qualify more than one person for
a business permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.