Listed Electrical Contractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
many insurance companies have lists of preferred contractors. they are contractors that have agreed to accept the price the insurance company says the work will cost.

the benefit to the HO is that usually the insurance company offers some kind of warranty if you use their preferred contractors.

the benefit to the contractor is that the contractor gets work that the insurance company has paid to estimate the cost on, and they are very good at it.

Daja7

many insurance companies have lists of preferred contractors. they are contractors that have agreed to accept the price the insurance company says the work will cost.

the benefit to the HO is that usually the insurance company offers some kind of warranty if you use their preferred contractors.

the benefit to the contractor is that the contractor gets work that the insurance company has paid to estimate the cost on, and they are very good at it.

Preffered contractors are those that they preffer to see who can under bid the next one until the insurance company pays as little as possible. Priced up a fire damaged home that required an entire rewire. 2800 sq feet. they came in at $6,600.00 inculding a new service. Some one got the job.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Preffered contractors are those that they preffer to see who can under bid the next one until the insurance company pays as little as possible. Priced up a fire damaged home that required an entire rewire. 2800 sq feet. they came in at $6,600.00 inculding a new service. Some one got the job.

pretty much how it works.... when i got flooded in feb., AAA has their "preferred"
contractor, who demoed and gave a BS estimate to repair. he made $5k for a days
work for a crew, and gave a estimate that was maybe $12k below what it would take
to fix. AAA cuts me a check for that amount, less deductable, and walks away.
the "contractor" won't do the work for that, he wants to then upsell the frack out
of you, and when you don't roll over and spew money, he disappears like the morning
mist.

and then you fix it yourself, with what you were given.

kinda the "company store" setup. no three bids, etc.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
pretty much how it works.... when i got flooded in feb., AAA has their "preferred"
contractor, who demoed and gave a BS estimate to repair. he made $5k for a days
work for a crew, and gave a estimate that was maybe $12k below what it would take
to fix. AAA cuts me a check for that amount, less deductable, and walks away.
the "contractor" won't do the work for that, he wants to then upsell the frack out
of you, and when you don't roll over and spew money, he disappears like the morning
mist.

and then you fix it yourself, with what you were given.

kinda the "company store" setup. no three bids, etc.

That is not the experience I have had or that others I know have had with the process. Might be the insurance company is the issue, but from what I have heard it is a relatively painless process for both the HO and the contractor, and the insurance company is generally quite fair about it.

I have had several claims handled this way and know of a number of people who had their claims handled this way with absolutely none of the issues you are claiming.

This is the way that virtually all car insurance claims are handled these days and it works pretty well mostly.

robwire

That is not the experience I have had or that others I know have had with the process. Might be the insurance company is the issue, but from what I have heard it is a relatively painless process for both the HO and the contractor, and the insurance company is generally quite fair about it.

I have had several claims handled this way and know of a number of people who had their claims handled this way with absolutely none of the issues you are claiming.

This is the way that virtually all car insurance claims are handled these days and it works pretty well mostly.

Haaaa

Come to the east coast and see the insurance nightmare in the wake of Sandy.

Yes

Yes

Have you ever heard about insurance companies having listed electrical contractors to be used by their insurees?
Well, I have heard about these listed electrical contractors, but I have never used them for my work. I think they will have some prior agreement with the electrician to provide the work in bulk and for some lower cost. By this the company makes sure that the customer is not asking for more damage bill.

GUNNING

Good hands people.

Good hands people.

I have a job sitting on my desk now to estimate. It is going to be run along with a contractor that is a "perfered" insurance contractor. It is not going to go well and I do not know how to tell my customer. This guy is at the beck and call of the insurance carriers. Estimates the job and sends in his crews to do the work. They are all 1099 subs working under his license. He will have all the work you want. I just do not want any at that price. The crying from the HO after the job is just not my business model. Yea, he completes the job. It just isnt any fun on his jobs and he has "Used Car Salesman" written all over him.
It reminds me of why I work for myself.
We have "perfered" contractors from realestate Brokers here too, same story. I think they are all over. It is just, "do you want the work bad enough to grovel, be insulted and insulting, get your reputation destroyed and get paid less than the job is worth." Insurance companies do not care. It is a money game. Do I make money at the end of the day. Am I paying attornies to sit around or send corrospondence. It all pays the same to them.
I just had a friend from NJ stay here for a week. It is like DE JA VUE from the hurricanes here. The only difference is that there isnt a layer of beauocracy built up from the last 10 storms in NJ, yet. The insurance companies dont care anymore about reputation. It is all in the contracts and when you are done it is all your fault. I heard Gov Christie saying they are going to upgrade the codes if you have more than 51% replaced. Kind of thing here now. They are getting on the ball just not soon enough.
That is what a good con man is. When the con is done you walk around saying "it was all my fault." Ask BP, State Farm, Nationwide, They spend millions on commercials to convince you it was "all your fault because they are the good hands people."
I prefer to leave insurance work to those in need. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.