Kitchen flat top peninsula with sink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so do I need a receptacle to serve the countertop area to the left of the sink? Its a flat top from the wall all the way out.Does 210.52 (C) 5 apply?

Attachments

• 2013-07-01_15-47-53_427.jpg
    2013-07-01_15-47-53_427.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 2

jusme123

Occupation
JW
yes, 210.52(C)(3) is the article that requires the receptacle on that peninsular countertop space, than 210.52(C)(5) allows you to place it not more than 12" below the counter (NEC'08 reference)

Last edited:

mcnut

Not a seperate space

Not a seperate space

It looks to me from your picture that the depth of the countertop behind the sink is more than 12 inches. I see you are on the 2008 code cycle but I would beleive the added language in the 2011 that states if the coutertop depth is LESS than 12 inches it is considered a seperate space would help in determining the intent of the code.
So in short it is not a seperate space therefore only 210.52(C)(3) applies and one outlet within 6 inches of the countertop,per 21052(C)(5), on the end as shown on your plan is sufficent.

An interesting discussion would be if the countertop depth behind the sink in this case was less than 12 inches would you be required to install a second outlet to the left of the sink. Also just in general when does Exception to (5):(2) apply?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Only the one outlet is required if the overhang was less than 12" then the one on the wall would satisfy the code along with the one to the right of the sink

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Dennis, which left side wall one would satisfy & why?
There are two receptacles on the left side of the peninsula (i.e., left side of sink, as viewed from the island in the kitchen). OK, so they are on the other side of the peninsula from the kitchen. But that does not mean they cannot be counted as being the required "at least one" receptacle. I believe this scenario would require the overhang (i.e., into the other room) to be six inches or less, but we are only guessing about the dimensions of this layout.

GatorTJ

Not a peninsula?

Not a peninsula?

The local inspector claims that because this has a framed knee wall behind the cabinets , even though it is below the flat counter top, that this doesn't fall under the peninsula rules and must follow the 2' - 4' spacing, requiring us to install receptacles in the face of the cabinet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The local inspector claims that because this has a framed knee wall behind the cabinets , even though it is below the flat counter top, that this doesn't fall under the peninsula rules and must follow the 2' - 4' spacing, requiring us to install receptacles in the face of the cabinet.

IMO the inspector is incorrect

Rick Christopherson

I am not commenting with any regard to code requirements, but solely as someone that spends a lot of time in the kitchen, and also a former cabinetmaker.

That portion of the peninsula to the left of the sink will be a very valuable food preparation area. I would speak with the home owner (and especially the cabinetmaker) to see if they would like to have at least one receptacle on the kitchen-side of the penisula. I would also see if they want a 4-gang box at the corner of the drywall in the lower-middle of the picture.

If this were my kitchen, I would want those receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.