Residential GFIs Constantly trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

New construction house, not even 1 week old. For some reason all the GFI circuits are tripping constantly. Kitchens, restrooms, etc. My information is limited at this point, just trying to help someone out. Any ideas from the experienced electricians on this forum?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
New construction house, not even 1 week old. For some reason all the GFI circuits are tripping constantly. Kitchens, restrooms, etc. My information is limited at this point, just trying to help someone out. Any ideas from the experienced electricians on this forum?
Extra bond between ground and neutral somewhere in the wiring? Incorrectly wired GFCI in MWBC?
Are these GFCI breakers or receptacles or a combination?

Npstewart

These are all GFI receptacles.

Are you suggesting to add an additional bond at the service entrance before the sub panels?

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Are you suggesting to add an additional bond at the service entrance before the sub panels?

I think he's suggesting that the neutral and ground may have been connected after the GFCI devices, as that would split the neutral current between the neutral and ground wires -- line and neutral currents are no longer balanced, and GFCI trips. If that's the case, I would suggest having whoever you're helping out think long and hard about who they hired to do the installation. Any electrician worth his salt ought to know better.

Are you able to reset these GFCI receptacles and then they trip when you plug something in, or are you not even able to reset them?

Npstewart

Its funny, thats exactly what I was thinking originally.

This house has one main panel with subpanels feeding other subpanels, none of which should have a neutral/ground bond.

I am finding out more information but I believe they reset and trip intermittently but not instantly.

I will post a conclusion.

glene77is

...all the GFI circuits are tripping constantly.
Kitchens, restrooms

Hypothetical answer, in the absence of more information.
Assume you have a MWBC, phase A & B & N.

If you attach GFCI Rec onto MWBC (A & N) , and pull a load,
then the neutral is shared between the two phases ( A & B ).

Since the load on phase A & N is in use,
when you add a load on phase B & N,
the GFCI may sense an imbalance on its own circuit A & N, and trip.

If you supply more info,
then you get more answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.