Jumping Phases

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a single phase panel with only three wires (hot, neutral, and ground) the hot wire is landed on the A phase of a two pole main breaker and there is a jumper going from A phase to B phase using the main lugs. Is this legal?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a single phase panel with only three wires (hot, neutral, and ground) the hot wire is landed on the A phase of a two pole main breaker and there is a jumper going from A phase to B phase using the main lugs. Is this legal?

As long as both busses are being fed through only one pole of the MCB, I do not see a problem, (other than labeling so that nobody later tries to install 240V equipment or wire up an MWBC.)

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I've seen plenty done this way. Applications are usually UPS output, or small generation output. Some are connected with two conductors in one mechanical lug - power to panel and power to the panel second pole. Others have a convenient bolt hole in the bus - so there is a crimp lug on a conductor to the panel second pole. One used a 1P50A CB to feed the second pole.

The only issue I see is the mechanical lug being rated for two conductors.

ice

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
The only issue I see is the mechanical lug being rated for two conductors.

ice

Yeah, me too. We used to do it a lot. But we got a main lug kit and jumped the phases out through that. Used the bottom 2 stabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.