Does an install kit have to be Listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

We all know you can go to the supply house and get pipe, boxes, clamps, etc. and build your system or assembly as long as you follow code.

Our company manufactures a twist-lock outdoor light control and it's been a learning experience both ways on installations, system maintenance, etc. As we learn what installers don't understand about it, we amend cut sheets, product litterature, etc. A good example of this is that they first try to put a solo cup over the lens to make the lights come on during the daytime for parking lot bulb maintenance, but our product is not light sensitive. And so we offer a shorting cap for $5.

Our product is Listed and we also affer a Listed receptacle for wire-in installations. Most electricians choose to use a female terminal adapter and an LB for the receptacle and that seems to work best. Using a sweep is too flimsy because you can't key the terminal adapter so we don't recommend that.

I'm thinking if we offered a little install kit, just having them see the kit & instructions would help them understand how to install as simply and effectively as possible. It might be as little as:
1) a 1/2" LB,
2) a female terminal adapter,
3) an inch of pipe, and
4) a drawing.
On a wall mount, it has to stand off the wall for 1/2 the diameter of the controller (3.5 / 2 = 1.75") and that's where the LB comes in handy.

So if I package up $3 worth of parts and sell it for $4 as a convenience to my customer, does my "kit" have to be Listed? I don't think it does.

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I do not understand the UL rules but if this install kit is all listed products that the ec would normally buy over the counter then I don't see why it must be listed.

glene77is

... a twist-lock outdoor light control
... they first try to put a solo cup over the lens to make the lights come on during the daytime for parking lot bulb maintenance,
but our product is not light sensitive. ...
...we offer a shorting cap ....

Curious Question :
If you have a Switch,
then what is this reference to a "lens" about ?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Curious Question :
If you have a Switch,

The product is a drop-in replacement for the standard form factor photoelectric controller for street lights, etc. From the outside it looks pretty much like a photoelectric controller and the cover looks like it might have a lens. But inside is a GPS-based time switch mechanism, and there really is not a photocell involved.

It just acts in some ways as if there were one.

mgookin

Curious Question :
If you have a Switch,

Everybody asks that question!
We get our baseplate and cap at lower cost than we can make them, and we get them by the pallet, from a company that makes photocontrols (yes, our competitor). It saved us considerable time & cost in product development & product Listing (UL 916). Just getting the brass plug blades tooled would have cost $60k.
When we went for product Listing they tested it and wrote it up as though we use an already listed & labeled photocontrol where we manufacture only the printed circuit board. We thereby bypassed all testing for plastics, plug blades, weathertight seal, gasket, adhesive, etc.
And so we end up with a useless lens in our cap. I agree it confuses people and it would be better if it were not there. One day it will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.