Conduits in Parking Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny 63

I am running 3/4" conduit in a parking garage. I am using the holes provided.Can I run (6) conduits thru this hole. If not could you tell me were to reference the code .Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As long as you can meet the appropriate Code Articles on supporting/securing, I know of no NEC restriction. There may be an applicable Fire Code or Building Code that would have some bearing.

(I changed your thread title from your name)

beanland

Agree

Agree

Agree, a hole is a place without structure. As longs as the conduits are supported, limiting the number would be like saying that you can only have so many conduits crossing a room (another place with no structure). Oh, wait, isn't that a pending proposal? :)

Volta

If your concern is with derating of the enclosed conductors, sub-section 310.15(B)(3)(b) requires that spacing be maintained between the conduits. No further definition or direction is given for this as you plan to be installing them. It would stand to reason that the alternative to that would be ampacity adjustment if 'spacing' cannot be provided, but it is not actually written that way.

In my opinion, it would be a rare instance wherein the conduits where packed such that an argument could not be made that 'spacing' exists. Whether it is 'maintained' (through the run contemplated) could be trickier, as if they contact each other there is no spacing at that point . . . . :roll:

By virtue of the 40% maximum fill in most or all of those conduits, the conductors in adjacent conduits should not reduce the dissipation of heat in the remaining ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.