Paint over screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The panel covers are also painted. So thick that once the screws are out, you have to cut the covers out of the paint or the paint will rip right off the wall.

I found that the multi-tool works well for getting the paint out of the slots on the larger, panel sized screws.

renosteinke

Screw extractor? Maybe- but why bother? If you must, visit harbor Freight. While you're at it, get some left-handed drill bits. They'll come in handy some day.

Cut / break the plates off, even cut the screw heads off- and grab what's left with Vise-grips and turn.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Screw extractor? Maybe- but why bother? If you must, visit harbor Freight. While you're at it, get some left-handed drill bits. They'll come in handy some day.

Cut / break the plates off, even cut the screw heads off- and grab what's left with Vise-grips and turn.[/QUOTE]

I was kind of starting to think the same thing. At some point just trying to get the screw out is going to be costly.

drspec

Cut / break the plates off, even cut the screw heads off- and grab what's left with Vise-grips and turn.
yeah let's take 5 - 10 minutes per device instead of 1 minute with the screw extractor. I used these things on some corroded screws in some concrete encased step lights and they came out easy and fast. Before that we tried needle nose, side cutters, etc....wouldn't even turn the screw. If time is of no essence and a $20 solution doesn't work for you I totally understand.

drspec

Thanks.

I was just going to ask if I could get them somewhere besides on line.
extractor_zps64aed494.jpg
$13.58 http://www.lowes.com/pd_280440-4187...=1&currentURL=?Ntt=screw+extractor+&facetInfo=

Status
Not open for further replies.