Crouse-hinds main circuit breaker failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for feedback on Crouse-hinds main circuit breakers regarding the possibility of failure when they get shut off after a period of time being in the on position.

In my situation, the main breaker was turned off after a fire, and when it was moved to the on position once the area of the fire was cut away, the breaker failed, showing signs of a poor connection with fluctuating voltage depending on the load.

Has anyone experienced this, or something similar?

Thank you

templdl

I'm looking for feedback on Crouse-hinds main circuit breakers regarding the possibility of failure when they get shut off after a period of time being in the on position.

In my situation, the main breaker was turned off after a fire, and when it was moved to the on position once the area of the fire was cut away, the breaker failed, showing signs of a poor connection with fluctuating voltage depending on the load.

Thank you

Sounds as if you have some failed contacts. With the breaker in the on position with the load applied us your digital voltmeter to measure the voltage from line to load of each phase. If the contacts are good you will essentially fpread zero volts. If the contacts are defective you will read some level of voltage across each set of contacts.
As recommended the breaker should be replaced.

templdl

Thank you

Sounds as if you have some failed contacts. With the breaker in the on position with the load applied us your digital voltmeter to measure the voltage from line to load of each phase. If the contacts are good you will essentially fpread zero volts. If the contacts are defective you will read some level of voltage across each set of contacts.
As recommended the breaker should be replaced.

templdl

One additional thing. It may be possible to rejuvenate the contacts be removing the load and then turning the breaker on and off numerous times. The moving contacts don't simply close against the stationary contacts but the actually rub against the stationary contacts. As such it may be possible to reduce the contact resistance to an acceptable level to provide temporary service.
Never the less the breaker must be replaced ASAP.

Sorry I should have been clearer. The panel is gone, the main was definitely bad.

This has to do with a fire that was confined (for the most part) to a hot tub on the back deck no where near the main panel. Once the fire was extinguished, the fire department shut the main breaker off until an electrician could verify all the wiring in the are of the fire was disconnected.

Once the electrician (not me by the way) rendered it safe, he turned the main breaker on. I'm not sure what he did or didn't do at that point, the occupant of the house moved to a hotel.

I came in the next day as a fire investigator, when I went into the basement to check the panel I immediately smelled the breaker heating up, and when I put my hand near the breaker, I knew the breaker was failing.

With that said the insurance investigator is trying to tell me that the failed breaker caused the fire to start in the hot tub, which I get that it could be possible with a low voltage. However, if that we're the case, the homeowner would have experienced some noticeable issues which they did not i.e. dim lights, oven or cook top not heating up properly, maybe the well pump, etc. before and leading up to the fire.

My point is, like some of you I've also experience problems with carouse hinds main breakers not resetting once they get turned off, especially the older panels. I was hoping to get corroboration to support my determination.

Sorry for the long explanation.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.