Switch for Outdoor Lighting With Remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am needing a switch with remote capabilities for some LED wall packs. HO would like to be able to turn the lights on outside with a switch and also with a remote from inside.

I don't think a dimmer type switch would work with the LED wall packs, as I don't think they would be dimmable.

Anyone know of such a switch?
Links would be helpful!

Thanks!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Can you use a remote unit for a ceiling fan?

Thought of that, but not sure of the distance, plus not sure if it would work with 6 lights.
Probably would since the wall packs are only 5W each.

Edit: How would that work with also having a manual switch?

Last edited:

John120/240

Thought of that, but not sure of the distance, plus not sure if it would work with 6 lights.
Probably would since the wall packs are only 5W each.

Edit: How would that work with also having a manual switch?

The manual switch would be all on or all off. Set the light level with the remote, then when the manual switch is activated the lights come on at the preset level. But I think you already know this.
Happy Fourth

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The manual switch would be all on or all off. Set the light level with the remote, then when the manual switch is activated the lights come on at the preset level. But I think you already know this.
Happy Fourth

Not sure the lights would be dimmable since they are outside wall packs with LEDs. Most LED lights need a special dimmer. Don't think these would like the reduced voltage.

I just need an on/off with remote capabilities, no dimmer.

Happy 4th to you too!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Lutron has one- I am certain. Call them 24-7 tech support 1-​800-523-9466

Thanks Dennis!
It's confusing at best sometimes looking at some of the websites. I have seen some different ones that I think will work but am unclear on what all has to be bought to make it work. Some you have to have a few different pieces to make up the system.

I will give them a call if my S/H can't come up with something. Most places had key people out because of the holiday and couldn't help until next week sometime.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Check out insteon.com. They make a non-dimming switch and a mini hand-held remote.

This is one of the one's that confused me. I thought I read that some type of controller/module was also needed, but it wasn't clear.
I wish they would say: "you need A + B + C + etc. for your application" but didn't find that anywhere.

The first one might work.
The second (Lutron) is a dimmer, and again, I don't think these LED wall packs would like a dimmer.

Thanks Grant & drspec

Status
Not open for further replies.