Connecting bus bars(screws)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm mostly looking for best continuity without any "galvanic reaction" from dissimilar metals
Stainless steel works well and is popular for Photovoltaic systems, but the threads are not as durable and they are expensive.
Bronze is good too, but also softer and expensive.
Zinc plated (galvanized) screws will not react with aluminum and are reasonably priced and strong.
If the manufacturer of aluminum ground bars specifies galvanized bolts/machine screws, I would not worry about continuity (if they include a toothed washer and are torqued down to spec.)

templdl

What's the best screws for connecting aluminum bus bars together? Type of metal,size,and thread?

The bus bar that I'm familiar with is assemble together by drilling the ends of each bus with a NEMA 2 or 4 hole pattern depending upon the bus size.. The holes Are 1/2" dia drilled 1-3/4". 1/2" x 13 tpi SS bolts as I recall using Belleville washers.
By using SS nuts and bolt they are non magnetic and do not heat. By using Belleville washers tension is kept on the bolts after they are torqued to prevent the bolts from loosening.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The bus bar that I'm familiar with is assemble together by drilling the ends of each bus with a NEMA 2 or 4 hole pattern depending upon the bus size.. The holes Are 1/2" dia drilled 1-3/4". 1/2" x 13 tpi SS bolts as I recall using Belleville washers.
By using SS nuts and bolt they are non magnetic and do not heat. By using Belleville washers tension is kept on the bolts after they are torqued to prevent the bolts from loosening.
http://elektra-ku.lt/attachments/File/Studentams/BURNDY_Connector_Theory_2007.pdf

A booklet put out by Burndy that is related to your topic. I originally obtained my copy from Burndy's site. AFAICT, it is no longer available from Burndy's site...

templdl

http://elektra-ku.lt/attachments/File/Studentams/BURNDY_Connector_Theory_2007.pdf

A booklet put out by Burndy that is related to your topic. I originally obtained my copy from Burndy's site. AFAICT, it is no longer available from Burndy's site...

That's a very comprehensive booklet. Westinghouse back when published similar material about the application of their products. Manufactures today doesn't publish stuff like this anymore. I have a complete set of 4 booklets of "Electrical Maintenance Hints" published back in 1984 that in include General Maintenance, Industrial Equipment Maintenance, Power Apparatus Maintenance, and Reference Material, Tables, and Formulas.. Westinghouse even had their own printing division in Pittsburgh.
I've had the set for over 25 years. Sadly to say there isn't anything regarding bus, just bus way.
I'm going to down load the burndy document as I probably won't run across that again either.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.