How to video

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I stopped at 4:32. No way I could watch that for the full fifteen minutes. Amazing how many people who work on aircraft feel they can wire houses. I saw a lot of it done (with a similar level of "expertise") by Boeing engineers from the Philly plant. One of the best was a guy who did a loop circuit with NM the whole way around his basement, stapled to the bottom of the joists so his wife could hang laundry and winter clothes on it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I stopped at 4:32. No way I could watch that for the full fifteen minutes. Amazing how many people who work on aircraft feel they can wire houses. I saw a lot of it done (with a similar level of "expertise") by Boeing engineers from the Philly plant. One of the best was a guy who did a loop circuit with NM the whole way around his basement, stapled to the bottom of the joists so his wife could hang laundry and winter clothes on it.
You should have gone at least as far as around 8:30 where he talks about the two 30A snap switches ("breakers", since of course the label says circuit interrupters), each controlling one side of the 240 going to both 120 and 240 loads. "They call it 220, but it is really 240 and you measure 240 between the two red [sic] wires and 124 from each one to the neutral."

I guess he could not find a 30A DPST snap-switch.
Those disconnects are wired about 18 inches from the junction box to the switch box using individual #10 wires running loose in the stud cavity. but he did at least leave an extra foot or two of loop incase he has to redo anything.

I am feeling a bit sick, and it is not from the hand held camera.

PetrosA

Ok, I watched the 8:30 moment, and then some.

"I would run into trouble, if I have a 30A breaker, and then, coming into the shed I downsized it to 12 wire. And I have #12 wire now, being protected by a 30A breaker - that's no good."

Hey, I think I'll go fly in an airplane...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I fixed the op's post. To the OP-- if you want to post a video you can use the icon that says Insert Video and posting the address there. Sometimes you have to post everything to the right of the equal sign only- do not use the "="

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I am waiting on Video #2 when the "underwriter inspector" that gave him the advice on the phone shows up to do his inspection.
I felt very "at home", since TN allows "homeowner" wiring :D

Wednesday's trip:
mcove1.jpg

Yesterday's "correction" involved a piece of 12/2 NM connected to the 100 amp breaker feeding a 120v GFCI (with 240 v). :D

John120/240

What is the motivation for these idiots,duffus,dingbats to post such incompetence ? My own 15 minutes of fame. Why open yourself up to criticism ? It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am waiting on Video #2 when the "underwriter inspector" that gave him the advice on the phone shows up to do his inspection.
I felt very "at home", since TN allows "homeowner" wiring :D

Wednesday's trip:
View attachment 8800

Yesterday's "correction" involved a piece of 12/2 NM connected to the 100 amp breaker feeding a 120v GFCI (with 240 v). :D

I would love to see have the stuff you inspectors see.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Ok, I watched the 8:30 moment, and then some.

"I would run into trouble, if I have a 30A breaker, and then, coming into the shed I downsized it to 12 wire. And I have #12 wire now, being protected by a 30A breaker - that's no good."
That is why he is doing the project, to eliminate that. The shed wiring itself is #12, so he will put a 30A outlet for big equipment, then one or more 20A breakers to the existing shed wiring.
His heart is in the right place, even if his head is not. (The original #12 went all the way from the existing 30A breaker to the shed.)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am working on a project currently where the end user hired a couple of "electricians" wire the thing up. They used all #22 3/C cable. Most of it is 24VAC valves, some is 4-20mA stuff, others are 120V stuff. All in the same #22 3/C cable.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what they used to hook up the (4) 5 HP 480V motors with.

I was doing some debugging the other day and discovered they never installed a SBJ at the 480/120V xfmr they put in to feed 120V power to the panel.

Some people are just downright scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.