vacation from business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

We are planning a week in Boca Raton this September . The systems are in place and we have the people for the business to run fine without me being their each day. When I went to Pheonix last year I still called in every evening for an update. This vacation I am thinking of not calling in and just letting things run. don't really know if I can . Has anyone spent a vacation away from your business and not checked in? Could you relax?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
IMO, I don't think one can really step away from the business for a week and not think about it at all. I mean really have the mind off of the business. Because you are in it everyday, you are involved with the day to day operation, you have built it up from scratch, it is your baby. You really care about what goes on within the business and what customers think about your services.

Now on the other hand if you become a CEO, or the manager of another business that you have not built yourself, then you can take a vacation without a minute of thinking about the business.

Having said all that, try to have a good time at your vacation and do your best not to call in. Infact, call your business phone carrier and have them put a block on your cell number. So when you do call using your cell phone to check on the guys, you call will not go through to the office.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Went to Australia last year for 2 weeks. Never called back to the US except to touch base with my family. My business is still functioning. What's the worst that can happen in a week ?

ceknight

Went to Australia last year for 2 weeks. Never called back to the US except to touch base with my family. My business is still functioning. What's the worst that can happen in a week ?

Yeah, that's me. I travel with phone and/or email, if anyone really needs to they can get a message to me....eventually.

Presumably one of the goals you set when you started your business was to have the freedom and income to travel occasionally. You earn the latter, you have to give yourself the former. Leave systems in place before you go, then get the heck out of town and don't call back.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If you have a good manager in charge, you should not have to call. If he/she needs you, he will call you. Hard to do, I am sure but you need to get away a few days and not worry too much about it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Family-health (mental and physical)-business, in that order, though you might be able to interchange health and family. Go on vacation, take the phone only if you need to stay in close touch with family, and have fun.

If your life is all about the business, your family will notice and your relationships will suffer, because they percieve that you think the work is more important.

People that believe that they are so important that the business will fail if they are not there, could find out just how important they are by trying to tell someone elses dog what to do.

zog

I struggle with this as well, seems there is no such thing as a vacation anymore. What I have done recently is find a vacation spot with no cell service or internet. That way I don't have a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.