• Change the breaker

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Change the panel

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

I was just wondering what the consensus here is for how to handle FPE breaker issues on service calls? Went to one this morning where the 100 amp main had tripped for a customer. Apparently the breaker tripped while using multiple appliances (washer and dryer, stove, tvs, etc) but when we duplicated that, I only had 35 amps on my meter. The water heater may have been cycling, also, when tripped, but didn't want to drain the heater for the sake of adding that value. The amperage was nowhere near enough to trip a 100 amp main. I did go through the panel and tighten breaker and neutral lugs. Nothing significantly loose. I presented the landlord with the following options...1) let it ride after tightening the lugs since there was no sign of arcing or wear and wait to see if the scenario duplicates itself...2) replace the 100 amp main...or 3) because of the history of FPE residential panels, change the panel out. I am posting a poll in regards to the handling of FPE equipment in the field to get an idea on where everybody stands and as always, comments are appreciated.

growler

I presented the landlord with the following options...1) let it ride after tightening the lugs since there was no sign of arcing or wear and wait to see if the scenario duplicates itself...2) replace the 100 amp main...or 3) because of the history of FPE residential panels, change the panel out. I am posting a poll in regards to the handling of FPE equipment in the field to get an idea on where everybody stands and as always, comments are appreciated.

The breaker tripped and that is a good thing in my experience a lot of the FPE breakers refused to trip and that was a real problem.

I would normally change out the panel if the main is bad. Save money for the customer in the long run.

zog

I was just wondering what the consensus here is for how to handle FPE breaker issues on service calls? Went to one this morning where the 100 amp main had tripped for a customer. Apparently the breaker tripped while using multiple appliances (washer and dryer, stove, tvs, etc) but when we duplicated that, I only had 35 amps on my meter. The water heater may have been cycling, also, when tripped, but didn't want to drain the heater for the sake of adding that value. The amperage was nowhere near enough to trip a 100 amp main. I did go through the panel and tighten breaker and neutral lugs. Nothing significantly loose. I presented the landlord with the following options...1) let it ride after tightening the lugs since there was no sign of arcing or wear and wait to see if the scenario duplicates itself...2) replace the 100 amp main...or 3) because of the history of FPE residential panels, change the panel out. I am posting a poll in regards to the handling of FPE equipment in the field to get an idea on where everybody stands and as always, comments are appreciated.

Sounds to me like the breaker works just fine? Only way to be sure is to properly test it. Don't fall into the whole "Oooh FPE bad" trap, they have the same failure rates as any other breaker of the same age.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
This is worth a read it is the core of the argument against:
http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/FPE-Hazards-111202_small.pdf
It mentions the 8-32 screws on the bussbar-breaker stab connection itself causing problems.
Breakers with a pink dot are suposed to be OK.
I dont really trust anything electrical thats 50 years old.
With old panels you have wire bending issues, age issues etc.

That being said that was not the only design of panels.
Today: Square D = Schneider Electric = Federal Pioneer
I have not herd of problems with all the Federal Pioneer panels and breakers made by the same people whom make square D. Maby the same internal parts as SQ D ? Still sold at Home Depot and installed everyday in Canada:
Here is your 100A breaker:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/double-pole-100-amp-stab-lok-na-plug-on-circuit-breaker/901375
They even have an 15A AFCI:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/sin...-arc-fault-circuit-interrupter-breaker/901374

EDIT: The paper said the FPE breakers with a pink label and a white dot made 1981 & after were infact UL listed. 1960 - 1980 = fraudulent manufacturing practices as determined by NJ court in 2002 = Questionable as to if UL listed ~ Not listed for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.