do we really need AFCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I will have to say one of mine tripped nicely when I poked my non contact tester in a box and managed to push a hot on to an EG. Nice little spark, no molten copper or at least not much. GF or AF, something worked.

Any breaker will trip with a direct short like that, except a Federal Pacific. AFCI's are a waste of money that got forced down our throats for no good reason.

jmellc

Occupation
This study was not about AFCIs...it was about damaged NM cable. However, the study seems to show that one of the things that they have told us that the AFCI is designed to protect against can't really happen. The original proposals that resulted in the AFCI requirement said that ~40% of the dwelling unit fires that are said to be of electrical origin were from faults in the fixed wiring of the building.

An instructor I once had was a local inspector. He spoke of asking the fire marshall how they determined if a fire was electrical. He said if they found no other cause, wiring was the default cause. So it could have been a match or cigarette that was missed, a gas leak that was missed, lightning or spontaneous combustion of oily rags. So I question most any statistics I see as unreliable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The biggest problem that I am having right now is the issue if sustaining arcs with enough energy to start a fire even exist at the voltages found in a dwelling unit. Recent information such as the UL report cited in this thread suggest that such arcs do not exist. It is my opinion that most fires that are of electrical origin are cause by poor connections that can produce high temperatures at low current levels. Sure there will be the cases of over heated undersized cords and things like that, but I doubt those things are major causes.

If arcs at that voltage are self sustaining, then why are we not requried to have GFP protection on the larger 208/120Y systems like we are requried to have on the 480/277Y systems?

hurk27

The biggest problem that I am having right now is the issue if sustaining arcs with enough energy to start a fire even exist at the voltages found in a dwelling unit. Recent information such as the UL report cited in this thread suggest that such arcs do not exist. It is my opinion that most fires that are of electrical origin are cause by poor connections that can produce high temperatures at low current levels. Sure there will be the cases of over heated undersized cords and things like that, but I doubt those things are major causes.

If arcs at that voltage are self sustaining, then why are we not required to have GFP protection on the larger 208/120Y systems like we are required to have on the 480/277Y systems?

And why is arc flash not a problem on 120 volts as it is on 480/277? H'mmmmm.

There have been so many articles written on series arcs as well as glowing arcs that can cause fires just because they can last a long time, and even a AFCI that has a more sensitive detection system but is gated so good arcs will be ignored should be able to extinguish these, but UL is so bent on the premise that the AFCI must extinguish the arc within the first 1/2 cycle so they wont allow a gated detection and series arcs will for ever go undetectable since it is impossible to distinguish between a good arc and a bad arc other then the time duration of most good arc's (switch contacts) being very short.

It doesn't take an engineer to understand that the signature of any arc is a complex chaotic random form of many waves of electrical energy, a good arc as well as a bad arc will produce this same form of chaos that is totally random, the only thing that will change this is the amount of load being drawn across the arcing point and the amount of voltage, but this will apply to both good arcs as well as bad arcs, so how do we make a good arc appear different to the detection device, placing resistors would alter the arcs but that would waste energy, how about placing caps across the good arc, that could work but would only shorten the time it took to extinguish the arc which would shorten up the gate time of detection on an AFCI if UL would allow it, throw inductive loads into the circuit and it all changes again, so having a background in electronics I can see the problems of trying to detect a series arc and how hard it is to detect the bad arc from a good arc.

I think the manufactures thought they could get this solved by the time the AFCI's hit the market but someone didn't think through it enough to realize how hard it was going to be, and they got caught with their pants down by the time they realized how hard it would be to tell the difference between a good arc and a bad arc.

The thing is that they have tried to put a band-aid on it by including basically a RCD or GFP into their design to cover up their short comings of detecting a series arc, if anyone remembers back when they were first introduced into the market the GFP was never disclosed, it was a held secret until we as electricians discovered it because of the problems that mimic a regular GFCI H'mm why was this? now with the combo ones to me they are just using a faster acting breaker to remove the power from a parallel fault faster (I have no fact to this, just my opinion, maybe they will somewhat detect an arcing parallel fault at a higher current level to act faster but I have not tested the trip curves of these new breakers) but the fact remains that they still will not detect a series arc by itself, of course they claim it will once the arc goes on long enough to turn into a parallel arc but that is nothing but a play of words as any fast acting breaker or GFP will also remove power from the circuit once it develops into a parallel arc, but that is not where the fire starts, the fire starts from the series arcs as well as the glowing arcs, just think about it, if a series arc has to evolve to a parallel fault to trip an AFCI think of the heat that has already been generated to melt this much insulation??? it doesn't take much thought to realize that if a fire is possible it will have already begun by the time the AFCI trips.

So as far as the technology working I don't see it, until they can get it to detect a series or glowing arc it will not add to the safety and we will not see any results saying so, because a GFP and faster acting breakers can do the same thing that the AFCI's can now do as they are now designed, the RCD system that Europe has had in use for some years probably has done more for the safety then the AFCI's have ever done, but even they come up short in a few points, with out a EGC in a cord they are not effective for protecting after the receptacle, also since the RCD is in the mains (main breaker) the whole house goes dark rather then just having them on the branch circuits, as well as no extra protection for line to line or line to neutral faults, as far as for faster acting breakers goes well we all know the problem with motor and transformer loads and a faster acting breaker just doesn't work in these cases.

Sorry for the ramble but most know my feelings on this subject and it has been going on as far back as when they were first put into the code, and my short experience with them in 2002 until we removed them from our state code the problems they caused and the cost for our customers because of these problems without no foreseen added safety when it was discovered that they would not in-fact detect a series arc as they were first claimed by the manufactures and UL, if they would have worked I would have been all over it to install them, but I don't go for smoke and mirrors much less snake oil as it turned out.

I would have loved for them to work, but as I noted above relying on a series arc to burn long enough to cause a parallel fault is not a reasonable excuse to now say they will detect a series arc because if a fire is possible at this point in the wiring then it would have already started.

Last edited:

templdl

Based on what evidence?

Nothing I have read indicates that to be the case.

The manufactures extensive testing as we as those as required by UL. I would like to see a test in the field that would replicate the test as done by the manufacturer and UL. As I stated before I believe in the product that it does what it is intended to do. However this is not reflected in the track record that they have when installed in the field. There appears to be no evidence to confirm that they are doing what they have been designed to do.

I am having a hard time figuring out what you are trying to say in the above quote.:blink:

I believe that it is a good product but that certainly doesn't mean that it is a useful product. As an example I purchased a few things such as tools that I though the design was fantastic but to end up sitting on the shelf as I ended up having little are use for them. My point is that I am confident the the manufactures can verify the integrity of the AFCI . But is there really a need for them judging from having very little if any track record. So what we have is a good product but is in so much as useless. Person all I thought that it would have had more of an impact but there is no evidence that it does.

Let me say I do not think that the engineers designing them were trying to perpetrate a fraud, I think most engineers want what they design to do the job they were intended for.

I believe that they do the job that they are designed to do. But there is little evidence that they are really needed.

On the other hand I have no problem at all believing the business and sales people would intentionally overstate the effectiveness of the units to get them into the code and selling.

There will always be an us against them. Salesmen will take the ball and run with it as that will never change. Up front they are an excellent idea that makes since. But now we question the real life practical application.
I am attempting to keep this topic objective as much as I can. By believing in the technology as I do certainly doesn't mean that has a practical application as I really don't see any advantages for its use which is quite disappointing.

templdl

Sorry for the ramble but most know my feelings on this subject and it has been going on as far back as when they were first put into the code, and my short experience with them in 2002 until we removed them from our state code the problems they caused and the cost for our customers because of these problems without no foreseen added safety when it was discovered that they would not in-fact detect a series arc as they were first claimed by the manufactures and UL, if they would have worked I would have been all over it to install them, but I don't go for smoke and mirrors much less snake oil as it turned out.

I would have loved for them to work, but as I noted above relying on a series arc to burn long enough to cause a parallel fault is not a reasonable excuse to now say they will detect a series arc because if a fire is possible at this point in the wiring then it would have already started.

Please don't apologize as you have made plenty of excellent points. I knew about the GFP from the get go as an insider. I think what is lacking is the real evidence the pa the AFCI will work as manufactured state it would.
Sometime as I think back may it be that both SqD and C-H were in a race to see could get an AFCI to the market first? That may have influenced the push to get into the market.

There have been so many articles written on series arcs as well as glowing arcs that can cause fires just because they can last a long time, and even a AFCI that has a more sensitive detection system but is gated so good arcs will be ignored should be able to extinguish these, but UL is so bent on the premise that the AFCI must extinguish the arc within the first 1/2 cycle so they wont allow a gated detection and series arcs will for ever go undetectable since it is impossible to distinguish between a good arc and a bad arc other then the time duration of most good arc's (switch contacts) being very short.

It doesn't take an engineer to understand that the signature of any arc is a complex chaotic random form of many waves of electrical energy, a good arc as well as a bad arc will produce this same form of chaos that is totally random, the only thing that will change this is the amount of load being drawn across the arcing point and the amount of voltage, but this will apply to both good arcs as well as bad arcs, so how do we make a good arc appear different to the detection device, placing resistors would alter the arcs but that would waste energy, how about placing caps across the good arc, that could work but would only shorten the time it took to extinguish the arc which would shorten up the gate time of detection on an AFCI if UL would allow it, throw inductive loads into the circuit and it all changes again, so having a background in electronics I can see the problems of trying to detect a series arc and how hard it is to detect the bad arc from a good arc.

I think the manufactures thought they could get this solved by the time the AFCI's hit the market but someone didn't think through it enough to realize how hard it was going to be, and they got caught with their pants down by the time they realized how hard it would be to tell the difference between a good arc and a bad arc.

The thing is that they have tried to put a band-aid on it by including basically a RCD or GFP into their design to cover up their short comings of detecting a series arc, if anyone remembers back when they were first introduced into the market the GFP was never disclosed, it was a held secret until we as electricians discovered it because of the problems that mimic a regular GFCI H'mm why was this? now with the combo ones to me they are just using a faster acting breaker to remove the power from a parallel fault faster (I have no fact to this, just my opinion, maybe they will somewhat detect an arcing parallel fault at a higher current level to act faster but I have not tested the trip curves of these new breakers) but the fact remains that they still will not detect a series arc by itself, of course they claim it will once the arc goes on long enough to turn into a parallel arc but that is nothing but a play of words as any fast acting breaker or GFP will also remove power from the circuit once it develops into a parallel arc, but that is not where the fire starts, the fire starts from the series arcs as well as the glowing arcs, just think about it, if a series arc has to evolve to a parallel fault to trip an AFCI think of the heat that has already been generated to melt this much insulation??? it doesn't take much thought to realize that if a fire is possible it will have already begun by the time the AFCI trips.

So as far as the technology working I don't see it, until they can get it to detect a series or glowing arc it will not add to the safety and we will not see any results saying so, because a GFP and faster acting breakers can do the same thing that the AFCI's can now do as they are now designed, the RCD system that Europe has had in use for some years probably has done more for the safety then the AFCI's have ever done, but even they come up short in a few points, with out a EGC in a cord they are not effective for protecting after the receptacle, also since the RCD is in the mains (main breaker) the whole house goes dark rather then just having them on the branch circuits, as well as no extra protection for line to line or line to neutral faults, as far as for faster acting breakers goes well we all know the problem with motor and transformer loads and a faster acting breaker just doesn't work in these cases.

Good ramble!:thumbsup:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Sometime as I think back may it be that both SqD and C-H were in a race to see could get an AFCI to the market first? That may have influenced the push to get into the market.
I sure think they were. I well remember their sending "engineers" into the Forums to help us. No amount of, or type of, communication from us could dislodge any hard tech documentation about the arc discrimination of the AFCI.
I worked for a major manufacturer and saw many R&D reports on AFCIs, did you?
It hasn't been for lack of trying. After all this time (over a decade and a half) there have been only generalizations and inferences, and paltry hard fact.

You see, even your certainty in the excitement of the technology is still only that. If it is truly so exciting, why can't we be allowed the hard tech? Can you produce any of those reports? I expect there are nondisclosure agreements that are still in effect.

jmellc

Occupation
I stand by my long stated argument that outlawing back stabbing would increase safety and lessen fire risk much better than arc faulting. Since the 70's I have replaced hundreds of devices burned up by back stabbing, less than a dozen burned ones with screw terminations. Some of the stabbed, burned devices were fed by arc fault breakers (GASP!). What does that tell us? That arc fault breakers are not worth pigeon poop. AFCI's have cost me a lot of jobs by increasing costs and I am angry about it. Add the occasional nuisance tripping on them and you lose a lot and gain nothing. Someone on this forum recently posted a video of an AFCI being tested with heavy load arcing parallell arcing and it did not trip. My house does not have them and I never lose a moment's sleep over it. I wish we could trash every AFCI breaker ever made. Melt them down and use the plastic to make standard breakers.

Then again, they are a good size to use as .22 or air rifle targets. Some of the most worthless items ever invented.

Last edited:

templdl

I stand by my long stated argument that outlawing back stabbing would increase safety and lessen fire risk much better than arc faulting. Since the 70's I have replaced hundreds of devices burned up by back stabbing, less than a dozen burned ones with screw terminations. Some of the stabbed, burned devices were fed by arc fault breakers (GASP!). What does that tell us? That arc fault breakers are not worth pigeon poop. AFCI's have cost me a lot of jobs by increasing costs and I am angry about it. Add the occasional nuisance tripping on them and you lose a lot and gain nothing. Someone on this forum recently posted a video of an AFCI being tested with heavy load arcing parallell arcing and it did not trip. My house does not have them and I never lose a moment's sleep over it. I wish we could trash every AFCI breaker ever made. Melt them down and use the plastic to make standard breakers.

Then again, they are a good size to use as .22 or air rifle targets. Some of the most worthless items ever invented.

Wonderful.

hurk27

Just found my old thread I had made about the problem of AFCI's on long runs and some e-mails between me an UL back in 2005, Take note of the e-mail from Steve Brown in post 12 where he seemed to be a little concerned but still kind of brushed it off, along with these e-mails there were allot of back and forth phone calls over the issue, that in the end went nowhere, as they kind of didn't want to admit there was a problem, but again this was when AFCI's were required to detect a 75 amp signature, even then he tried to tell me that they were set at 35 amps but later I found out this was not true from a friend at ITE as he told me the 75 amp detection level was a UL requirement to keep from detecting good arcs.

Here is the thread:
Re: AFCI testers (Ideal Shure Test)

It was during this time we also discussed the adding of a gated input to the detection to lower the current required to prevent false detection of good arcs but like I said that went nowhere because they felt any time delay would be a bad thing, so we have a time delay anyways now because a series arc has to evolve into a parallel arc so go figure:?

peter d

The more that comes to light about the inherent deficiencies in these devices, the more I loathe being required to install them. :thumbsdown:

jmellc

Occupation
No one mentioned whether the outlet was backstabbed. I bet it was. Quality wiring methods would have prevented that arcing. We have seen other videos where AFCI breakers did not trip with an arc. The inspector should have addressed that question. I may write to him and ask if that was even checked on.

hurk27

Interesting video I found on YT about Indiana and the AFCI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os2DdhXJHzc

I'll let you guys comment. :p

What's to be expected, you have a reporter trying to make a story who doesn't have a clue as to how they even work much less that the fire in the receptacle would not have been detected by a AFCI, and consumers who think they work because someone told them they do, I saw allot of politics in that video that I wont get into here but I will say this, most of the people who was in that video who was for the AFCI's either has an interest in them one way or another or are just clue less as to how they actually work and what they can really do, and yes I know quit a few of them who were in that video including the person who posted the video to You Tube who is a small local contractor in my area, they built the story around a receptacle that had a loose connection, a series arc that would not have been detected by an AFCI until it evolved to a parallel arc to which the fire would have most likely have already been set, ask yourself this, why did a receptacle located in a box that should have prevented it from catching anything on fire if it were installed in a code compliant manner? was there other violations that aren't being told? did the breaker for it's circuit trip from the end result of a parallel arc that is only what an AFCI would have accomplished? It's so easy to leave out so many details to fool the consumer into thinking they will be safe until it still happens after AFCI's have been installed, what will they blame then?

I would like to ask one question, has anyone ever seen or heard of any test done by a major scientific lab or school other then UL, NFPA or others who has an interest in such a device? I have never heard of any?

Wonder why there has been no law suits to reinstate 210.12 in Indiana? You would think the manufactures would have jumped right on that one??? is it maybe the truth will leak out?

hurk27

No one mentioned whether the outlet was backstabbed. I bet it was. Quality wiring methods would have prevented that arcing. We have seen other videos where AFCI breakers did not trip with an arc. The inspector should have addressed that question. I may write to him and ask if that was even checked on.

Good luck with that, the inspector in the video was from Gary, the fire was in Indianapolis, he would not have that information even if it was recorded but I bet it wasn't.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That may be just an issue based on the amount of energy.

First it is my opinion that a glowing connection is not an arc..it is just a high resistance connection. Where did you find information on the first half cycle? It is my understanding that the arc must exist for at least 8 half cycles before the AFCI will trip. In the report I posted at the beginning of this thread, the arcs in the damaged NM self extinguished at the zero crossing.

jmellc

Occupation
Good luck with that, the inspector in the video was from Gary, the fire was in Indianapolis, he would not have that information even if it was recorded but I bet it wasn't.

I have messages out to the reporter and inspector. I am still looking for contact info for the fire marshall.

While I know they mean well, too many public officials get on the bandwagon of regulation being the cure of all ills. Well, they missed it on back stabbing. I strongly suspect this was a stabbed device. If they did not check for that or have record of it, they did not do their jobs properly. I may also try to locate the homeowner and write to him. I will ask if anyone told him about the hazards of back stabbing.

peter d

The video did contain a huge amount of misinformation and bias. As they old saying goes, sometimes it's what is left unsaid that tells the real story. ;)

templdl

Interesting video I found on YT about Indiana and the AFCI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os2DdhXJHzc

I'll let you guys comment. :p

How come they haven't need credited directly with the prevention of fires that have been started by electrical failures? All that I have seen is that they "could have" prevented a fire if they had been used. Could have is easy to say. But the actual prevention of a fire is elusive at best. They are supposed to prevent fires but no examples are provided that the do.
The test bench example is impressive, that assumption that having an AFCI in place would have prevented the fire is just that, an assumption. If there was an AFCI in place and tripped preventing a fire I would think an electrician would have been called to determine the cause of failure. The electrical would put 2+2 together giving the AFCI the credit for preventing a house fire. As such he would place a banner stating as such in front of the house, call the media, get a marching band to celebrate, notify the manufacture that their product does in fact work.
But, no, nothing. Could have would have should have doesn't cut muster.
But the video is impressive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.