Panel front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I could use a little help trying to locate a cover for an ITE Imperial Corporation Cat. # EQ 3X8A.

Customer is selling his home and needs this cover.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
Looks like it may be a split bus panel? If so how many spaces are mains? Could easily be more than six mains from what I see.

I say this because it sure looks like the conductors supplied by the upper left breaker are probably feeding the lighting section of a split bus panel.

Otherwise if it is a main lug panel, why are grounding and grounded conductors both landed on the neutral bus and/or why isn't there a main breaker if this is service supplied and is not a split bus?

Daja7

It is definitly a split buss but using the twin or tandum breakers make this illegal due to the six disco rule, and any home inspector will or should pick this up. A panel upgrade is definitly in their future.

kwired

Electron manager
It is definitly a split buss but using the twin or tandum breakers make this illegal due to the six disco rule, and any home inspector will or should pick this up. A panel upgrade is definitly in their future.
I asked how many spaces are "main" spaces because if it has the usual 12 poles for mains (which gives you six disconnects if they are all double pole breakers) there would only be 4 poles left for the lighting section (not counting tandem handles)

The top two breakers are double pole, the next one down (on both sides) appears to be "quad" breakers. It is easy to see the handle tie for the outer poles on the left one, a little hard to see but I think there is a handle tie on the center two on the left, and since the right one seems to be a quad probably has a handle tie between the center handles but doesn't have a tie between the outer poles.

Still this puts us with at least 7 or more mains, depending on how many main spaces there are on the bus. Unless the top two spaces are the only main spaces on the bus.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm pretty sure that's just a subpanel and so the six disconnect rule would not apply as long as there is a main at the meter section.

I would guess the the two upper breakers feed a A/C and and an oven or some bigger load. I don't believe that they are being used as main breakers.

If you look very carefully at the breaker pole diagram in the bottom-right corner, it looks like it is in fact a split bus panel. Might not be too many mains in there after all, if you count the two 2-poles at the top and the two twin 2 poles, that equates to six throws. Of course, I'm assuming that there are only eight 1" pole positions in the mains section.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I'm pretty sure that's just a subpanel and so the six disconnect rule would not apply as long as there is a main at the meter section.

I would guess the the two upper breakers feed a A/C and and an oven or some bigger load. I don't believe that they are being used as main breakers.

Like I said, if it is a split bus service panel - there possibly is too many mains, if it is supplied by a feeder then there is grounded/grounding conductors mixed on same bus. I can't tell if there is a bonding jumper on the neutral bus or not.

Occupation
Inspector
Home Owner would like to start with a much needed cover at this moment. This is a Split Bus and yes there are too many Mains.
I'm sure at the time of the Home Inspection these issues will be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.