400amp Combo Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
SqD_400a_Service.jpg One of my buddies found this new electric service. It is a Sq D CU12L400CN. The single pole breakers at the top buss go to enclosed garage recepts and lights. The 2p 80 feeds a pool sub-panel. The 2p 30 feeds an A/C disconnect(non-fused). The contractor cannot understand why is installation is wrong. Can anyone else explain it to him?:blink:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It would be interesting to see the diagram on the cover.
Looking up that catalog in the Square-D Digest it appears the entire creature has been severely altered including the removal of a main breaker.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It would be interesting to see the diagram on the cover.
Looking up that catalog in the Square-D Digest it appears the entire creature has been severely altered including the removal of a main breaker.

There does not appear to be anything wrong with the panel itself.
The Square D Digest says this 400A panel is rated for (1) factory installed 200A breaker, (1) field installed 200A max breaker, and (4) 2-pole 125A max breakers (200A total load).
The picture, in the Digest, is not specific to this catalog number.

The only visible problem, is the use of 1-pole breakers that Masterinbama pointed out.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
Some observations

Some observations

We did notice the 7 disconnects off the meter. The buss is listed for a max of 4 125amp breakers. They did mix the short-circuit ratings of the breakers in the panel. The panel is listed at 25k. The two 200a mains in the bottom are 22k, the breakers on the buss are 10k. The breakers per SqD shall be SERVICE RATED and branch circuit breakers shall not be used. The singles should not be there. :angel:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The Square D Digest says this 400A panel is rated for (1) factory installed 200A breaker, (1) field installed 200A max breaker, and (4) 2-pole 125A max breakers (200A total load).

The only visible problem, is the use of 1-pole breakers that Masterinbama pointed out.

You are the "Digest" expert so I won't challenge that.
The way that top buss was in the OP's post made me suspicious, so I entered the catalog number in the on-line Digest and got this:
http://www.downloads.schneider-elec...636&p_Conf=i#http://www.schneider-electric.us

It showed a single main, but, as you say it may not be specific to that particular panel.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
You are the "Digest" expert so I won't challenge that.
The way that top buss was in the OP's post made me suspicious, so I entered the catalog number in the on-line Digest and got this:
http://www.downloads.schneider-elec...636&p_Conf=i#http://www.schneider-electric.us

It showed a single main, but, as you say it may not be specific to that particular panel.

The handout on your link, does not list the OP's catalog number.
Try this one for a CU12L400CN.
http://www.schneider-electric.com/p...ice-entrance-devices-cseds/60251-meter-mains/
Then select the Donwload & Documents link, finally choose from the CAD option.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
View attachment 8817 One of my buddies found this new electric service. It is a Sq D CU12L400CN. The single pole breakers at the top buss go to enclosed garage recepts and lights. The 2p 80 feeds a pool sub-panel. The 2p 30 feeds an A/C disconnect(non-fused). The contractor cannot understand why is installation is wrong. Can anyone else explain it to him?:blink:

Looks like all of the breakers are off of the meter secondary, so they all become service disconnects. Limit is six, per Code.

ceb58

The 200 amp breaker on the right is the factory installed one. They bend the 3/0 with the hard 90's at the factory. When you install the other 200 in the field your wire is straight from the lugs to the line side.

mark32

I'm sorry, but what is the problem with the sp's being in there? Is it solely because you're in violation of the 6 disc rule or is it something else?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I'm sorry, but what is the problem with the sp's being in there? Is it solely because you're in violation of the 6 disc rule or is it something else?
It has to do with UL Listings and service entrance requirements.

Schneider Electric FAQ website:
Can a single pole breaker be used on a Combination Service Entrance Device?

A single pole breaker can be used as a branch device in the loadcenter section (if applicable) of a CSED device. Only two pole breakers are UL listed to be used as main disconnects.

mark32

A single pole breaker can be used as a branch device in the loadcenter section (if applicable) of a CSED device. Only two pole breakers are UL listed to be used as main disconnects.

Thanks Jim, are the single poles considered "Main disconnects" because there is no main ahead of them, because they are obviously protecting branch circuits.

mark32

Jim, would you agree that this listing is unique to this panel? In other words, if one installs a panel and it's service rated, couldn't you normally use sp's, dbl poles, or a combination of them and be code compliant as long as you have six or less handles? Let's say you install a service rated mlo panel in a separate structure and use two double poles and four single poles, that's normally compliant correct?

kwired

Electron manager

Before 2008(?) NEC it also would have been a problem because installing just one single pole unit made it become a lighting and appliance panelboard and a the panelboard would then have required a single main.

I will trust you on the listing information, otherwise it would be NEC compliant oustide of listing instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.