Multi Voltage Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The vague part is how you hook up voltage to a generator that is, itself, supposed to be the thing that is creating the voltage. Can you explain a bit?

growler

I know this is a vague question so bare with me. Can you burn up a generator by hooking up the wrong voltage. Example: 120/240 to a 277/480 and vice versa.

First off I have never tried it but I wouldn't think the generator would be harmed because it should have overcurrent protection (circuit breaker ).

If you were to hook up the wrong voltage I would think that you could destroy lots of other equipment.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
First off I have never tried it but I wouldn't think the generator would be harmed because it should have overcurrent protection (circuit breaker ).

If you were to hook up the wrong voltage I would think that you could destroy lots of other equipment.

FWIW, the overcurrent protection built into a generator (circuit breaker) may not even trip immediately at the maximum short circuit current the generator can produce.

eHunter

FWIW, the overcurrent protection built into a generator (circuit breaker) may not even trip immediately at the maximum short circuit current the generator can produce.

+1
Or it may not trip at all, due to the inability of the genset to deliver sufficient current to trip the genset OCPD before the fireworks begin.

eHunter

I can understand possibly replacing the control panel and wire. But what about replacing the coils or it damaging the entire generator?
Please provide more info on your installation.
Genset size?
Single phase or 3 phase?
Genset OCPD size?
Is the genset connected to a transfer switch?
How was the genset connected to the "service"?
What was the genset voltage?
What is the service voltage?
Did anything "smoke"?

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I meant hooking up a certain voltage generator to a certain voltage service. Ex: 124/240 generator to a 277/480 service.
Unless you have a paralleling system, or a closed transition transfer switch the generator is never directly connected to the utility voltage. In either case the controls should not permit the contactors to close and connect the generator to the utility if the votlages are not the same.
With a standard transfer switch, on loss of the utility power, you would be supplying the connected equipment with the wrong voltage, more likely to damage the equipment than the generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.