Ground Fault protection on feeder breakers but not the main breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly

I'm looking at a 480V system with switchgear that has a Main-Tie-Main arrangement with main breakers and several feeder breakers. The two main breakers are 1200A each but only have phase protection and do not have ground fault protection settings. The feeder breakers range from 300A to 800A and all have both phase and ground fault protection.

I know the NEC requires ground fault protection on any system with a service entrance breaker larger than 1000A. Does it specifically require wheather or not this ground fault protection has to be on the Main breaker or wheather or not it can be on all of the feeder breakers. In the case described above is it correct not to have ground fault on the 1200A main breakers but have it on all of the feeder breakers?

Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion the code requires the GFP to be on the mains. The fact that the downstream breakers have GFP does not change the requirement for the main to have GFP. 215.15 or 230.95

philly

In my opinion the code requires the GFP to be on the mains. The fact that the downstream breakers have GFP does not change the requirement for the main to have GFP. 215.15 or 230.95

That is how 230.95 reads to me too.

I believe with a service entrance panel that is MLO and has up to 6 feeder breakers then these feeder breakers are now considered the service entrance breakers and thus they would need to have ground fault protection if any one of them was over 1000A. But in that case there is no main breaker in the service entrance panel.

I guess this case is different since there is a main breaker.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What's up stream? I recently did one where there was metal-clad gear upstream feeding MCCs with M-T-M non-fused disconnects (because there were breakers with GFP up stream). The 1200A NF disconnects were larger, more expensive and engineered (longer lead time) than breakers, so I put in breakers instead. So there was no need for GF in those M-T-M breakers since they didn't need to be breakers at all, but it would look like a violation at first glance.

Status
Not open for further replies.