General Electric MCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Systems Inspector
Ok guys and gals, I need some help finding some information on this old MCC, I should have taken a picture but didn't have my camera with me at the time. Here is a discription of what I'm looking at, on the door of the individual motor controller there is a three position switch to the left, on,off,auto in the center is a red indicator light, to the right there is an indicator that tells you if its on or off. On the inside there is a three pole breaker, a place for some small flat overloads, looks like a transformer in the back. There is a metal rod with a 90deg bend facing up in the center bottom, there is two slotted thumb screws in the back upper left and right corner. What I would like to know is how this is removed from the MCC. Thanks for any help

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
No way to tell just from that. Somewhere on that MCC is a nameplate, there should be one on every section, typically on the vertical wireway, unless it is too old to have a vertical wireway. That is required to have the model / series number and a serial number or order / project number on it. Each unit is required to have a label on the inside as well, usually on the back panel, because doors can be exchanged. You can take those numbers to any GE distributor and they should be able to pull up the exact drawings of that MCC.

http://www.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/GEF-4629B?TNR=Renewal Parts|GEF-4629B|PDF

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have seen one like that, but I don't think it was GE. In the one I am thinking about, you just push the bucket in and then latch it with the bottom screw and the two top screws. The removal would be to unlatch the 3 screws and pull it out. The power to the MCC section should be off to install or remove a bucket.

The GE MCCs that I have worked on had a drive screw at the bottom that you turned to push the bucket in and then you turned the two top screws for top latch. I think the two top screws were only on buckets taller than 12".

masterinbama

Sounds like a 7700 series GE (They usually have round breaker actuators rather than handles) The top 2 knurled screws are 1/4 turn latches and there should be one or two threaded screws to pull in or push out the bucket.

As was said, all removal and installation should be done with the MCC section deenergized.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Sounds like a 7700 series GE (They usually have round breaker actuators rather than handles) The top 2 knurled screws are 1/4 turn latches and there should be one or two threaded screws to pull in or push out the bucket.

As was said, all removal and installation should be done with the MCC section deenergized.
I don't recall any of the 7700 series that I have worked on having the long bottom latch with a 90? bend on the end. All of the ones I have seen had a single threaded screw on the bottom to pull in or push out the bucket. I am not sure how long the 7700 series has been around. The ones I have worked with were from the mid 60's and are still in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.