Electric baseboard clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt123

Is there a clearance above a heater? Ex, if a desk was mounted to the wall above where the unit would be. Is there a minimum clearance? Thanks.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Is there a clearance above a heater? Ex, if a desk was mounted to the wall above where the unit would be. Is there a minimum clearance? Thanks.
Clearance to what?
210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.

Permanently installed electric baseboard heaters equipped with factory-installed receptacle outlets or outlets provided as a separate assembly by the manufacturer shall be permitted as the required outlet or outlets for the wall space utilized by such permanently installed heaters. Such receptacle outlets shall not be connected to the heater circuits.

Informational Note: Listed baseboard heaters include instructions that may not permit their installation below receptacle outlets.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That type of information will be found in the instructions for the heater. The operating temperature of electric heat varies by the type of unit and the required clearance above the unit also varies.

kwired

Electron manager
It has been too hot to think about heaters lately:)

I would agree with others, NEC mentions receptacles but nothing else for space above these heaters, and it is mentioned as an informational note telling you that the appliance instructions may have this requirement.

p real

most baseboard heaters say that they should be kept 3 feet from combustible materials like drapes, etc. Right on the unit somewhere. Coves have diff comb spacing reqs,tu i have seen people who have pushed their couches up against one and nearly burned the house down, and i have also seen bbheaters installed on t&g walls that have been severely scorched behind the heater, heck... The one in my shop is mounted 3 ft off the ground and the sheetrock wall above it shows signs of heat damage. Basically, receptacle reqs aside... If you can hold your hand at the same level above the heater that you plan to put a combustible item(ie desk ) and it burytyou after a short time held there, probly not a good idea... Not a real technical answer, but just a logical one that i have always used... I would also consider the flow of air around that space once the desk is installed. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.