Buchanon or barrel crimp sleave wire connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an electrician in my jurisdiction that is wiring a new house and using the old barrel crimp sleave w/tape covering. I remember an update class for 05 or 08 that stated that this type of connection was no longer compliant except for grounding conductors. He claims they are still legal and I cannot find the code # to stop him. Am I right or was it just wishful thinking I don't like this kind of splice as I have had to replace hundreds over the last 25 yrs. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can't find any documentation to support my memory, but as I recall, Ideal and/or Buchannan only lists them for installation with their tool.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

(B)
Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered. All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose. Wire connectors or splicing means installed on conductors for direct burial shall be listed for such use.

They are identified for the use

Cavie

I have an electrician in my jurisdiction that is wiring a new house and using the old barrel crimp sleave w/tape covering. I remember an update class for 05 or 08 that stated that this type of connection was no longer compliant except for grounding conductors. He claims they are still legal and I cannot find the code # to stop him. Am I right or was it just wishful thinking I don't like this kind of splice as I have had to replace hundreds over the last 25 yrs. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You
I'll bet he doesn't own a cell phone.:happyno:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... but as I recall, Ideal and/or Buchannan only lists them for installation with their tool.
In general that is true for any crimp connector. You are only permitted to use the tool specified in the instructions for the connector. In many cases, if connector maker also makes a crimp tool, then that tool is the only one listed in the instructions.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In general that is true for any crimp connector. You are only permitted to use the tool specified in the instructions for the connector. In many cases, if connector maker also makes a crimp tool, then that tool is the only one listed in the instructions.

That is sort of true, but incomplete. As I understand the situation.

UL lists crimp on connectors.

UL does not list tools to make the crimp.

The tool can be identified by the manufacturer of the tool to work with a particular UL listed connector.

The connector can also be identified to be crimped with any suitable tool the manufacturer of the connector so identifies.

There is no requirement that the connector instructions include all the possible tools that could be used.

There is no requirement that the tool instructions list all the possible connectors it can crimp.

In fact, my understanding is that the suitability of the tool is not determined by UL, but UL does determine the parameters of the crimp that is required such as size and force used to make the crimp. It is up to the manufacturer of the tool to determine how that crimp is applied within those parameters.

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

(B)
Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered. All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose. Wire connectors or splicing means installed on conductors for direct burial shall be listed for such use.

They are identified for the use

I don't believe regular vinyl electrical tape will suffice. Assuming he is using electrical tape on the crimps. (I will check on the 3M site)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is my understanding that the connector manufacturer is required to identify the tool(s) that is (are) to be used for the installation of their connectors.

The following is from the UL Guide Information for "Wire Connectors and Soldering Lugs" (ZMVV)
Use of specific tools ? A specific tool and die used to assemble a wire connector to a conductor is identified on the connector, or on or within the unit container of the connector. The identification consists of a catalog or type designation, color-coding, die index number, or equivalent means. Color-coding of the crimp barrel is common.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is my understanding that the connector manufacturer is required to identify the tool(s) that is (are) to be used for the installation of their connectors.

The following is from the UL Guide Information for "Wire Connectors and Soldering Lugs" (ZMVV)

What I have been told by people who probably actually know is that it is not quite as simple as this statement makes it sound. I may have misunderstood what I was told but what I understood was that there is a requirement that the connector manufacturer identify a tool that can be used to crimp the connector on with. It does not mean that it is the only tool that can be used.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What I have been told by people who probably actually know is that it is not quite as simple as this statement makes it sound. I may have misunderstood what I was told but what I understood was that there is a requirement that the connector manufacturer identify a tool that can be used to crimp the connector on with. It does not mean that it is the only tool that can be used.
And what I understood about it is that the identified tool or tools are the only ones that can be used for that connector.

iwire

Staff member

So I can use any die I want with any hydrulic tool with any crimp I want?

Who decides?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
There is no requirement that the connector instructions include all the possible tools that could be used.

There is no requirement that the tool instructions list all the possible connectors it can crimp.

In fact, my understanding is that the suitability of the tool is not determined by UL, but UL does determine the parameters of the crimp that is required such as size and force used to make the crimp. It is up to the manufacturer of the tool to determine how that crimp is applied within those parameters.

That Looks correct to me.

Here is an exerpt from UL 486C on preparing sample crimps for testing where they discuss which tools to prepare samples with:
UL 486C said:
7 Preparation of Samples
7.1 General
7.1.1 Representative samples of the connector are to be connected to conductors of the proper type,
length, and size as specified in the instructions furnished with the connector by the manufacturer. For the
heat-cycling test, control-conductor assemblies are also to be prepared, wired in series with the sample
sets used for the heat-cycling test and carrying the same test current. See 7.2.2 ? 7.2.7, 7.5.1, 7.5.2, and
7.1.2 When a connector is to be assembled to conductors by means of a specific tool, this tool is to be
used in the intended manner.
7.1.3 A connector that may be assembled to a conductor by more than one type of specific tool, shall
perform acceptably in the test when any of the specified tools are used. In selecting tools for assembly of
a connector to a conductor, the following features are to be considered:
a) Profile, width, and depth of a connector;
b) Material of connector body;
c) Crimping die geometry;
d) The number of crimps; and
e) Similarity of crimp forces.

The electrician should be able to provide sufficient evidence of compliance with 110.14 (your only code section that I am aware of) with the absence of information about a tool. Here is what UL required to be marked:
UL 486C Section 25 Marking said:
25.14 A procedure that must be followed for proper assembly of a wire connector to a conductor shall be
described as follows:
a) Use of a Specific Tool Required ? When a connector is intended to be connected to a
conductor or conductors by a specific tool, the tool designation or the designation of a
removable tool part such as a pressing die shall be marked:
1) On the connector; or
2) On the unit container or information sheet in which the connector is packed by at
least one of the following markings:
i) Catalog or type designation;
ii) Color coding;
iii) Die index number; or
iv) Other equivalent means.

b) Multiple Crimping Operations Required ? Information shall be provided:
1) On the unit container or on an information sheet packed in the unit container in
which the connector is packed;
2) On the tool or pressing die that must be used for its application;
3) On the carrying case provided for permanent storage of the tool and dies; or
4) On the connector.
Location of the crimping points only, without additional instructions, shall be marked on the
connector when the additional required information is located as indicated in (1), (2) or (3).

An example of connectors UL listed for more than one tool would be those common butt splice, forked or ring style Red / Blue / Yellow crimp lugs. There are many crimpers available that have the red / Blue / Yellow dots.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here is Panduits tooling chart for thier smaller crimp terminals. Are you saying we don't have to follow it and that we can use any tool we want to?

PetrosA

Been using PT-60 Sta-Kons and a WT111M tool for last 40 years. I'm too old to change now.:cool:

That's obviously a bad combination, but I've seen other guys doing it. What's the point of having an insulated sleeve if you're just going to punch holes through it with your crimper?!?

Here is Panduits tooling chart for thier smaller crimp terminals. Are you saying we don't have to follow it and that we can use any tool we want to?

Looks like you linked to a T&B document, but it's similar to Panduit's. Here's one of their tech sheets for a typical yellow crimp end:

http://www.panduit.com/heiler/PartDrawings/A4119906.pdf

According to that, for the crimp terminal to be considered UL/CSA listed, you have to use one of the crimpers they list (CT-550, CT-1550, CT-1551). They also have a list of "recommended" tools, but listed separately from those in the UL/CSA list, so they'll work, but won't meet the requirements needed for UL/CSA listing.

Neither document seems to answer the interesting question of whether color coded terminals can be crimped to UL standards with similar tools from other manufacturers. I'd be very interested in finding that out. I own a CT-1551 and feel totally confident in using on terminals from other manufacturers, but I have no idea whether those terminals meet the original UL specs when I do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.