PLFA Cable fitting for metal boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, how are you?

I find it hard to believe, but I have searched a large number of websites trying to determine what fittings are being used to install the PFLA nonmetallic cables to a metal box or enclosure.

Can anyone show me a pic or direct me to a site that shows a fitting(s) permitted to be used for this type of installation? or tell me what fittings you guys may be using.

Thanks
Pierre

nhfire77

Hey guys, how are you?

I find it hard to believe, but I have searched a large number of websites trying to determine what fittings are being used to install the PFLA nonmetallic cables to a metal box or enclosure.

Can anyone show me a pic or direct me to a site that shows a fitting(s) permitted to be used for this type of installation? or tell me what fittings you guys may be using.

Thanks
Pierre

Great question, there is no listed PLFA fitting that I am aware of. I found the 1997 edition of UL 514B (standard on fittings). It doesn't mention fire alarm or plfa. I'm guilty of using NM clamps in the past, but never now. Although rare, ground faults had been caused by those clamps.

I guess if you want to enter a box or panel using PLFA without a complete raceway, it has to be:

A. Through a stub, with listed fittings such as insulating bushing and a bang on bushing, to comply with the physical protection requirements of 760.

or

B. Use a listed KO insulating bushing.

I guess this pic could be misleading if you assume those are NM clamps:

611ecmCBfig3.jpg

I agree that there are no listed fittings for PLFA cable. At least I could not find them in my search.

Here is how I would try to follow some logic.

PLFA cable is required by 760.130(B)(1) to use listed fittings.
PLFA cable is nonmetallic.
Hence a nonmetallic fitting such as the ones used for romex (they are listed for nonmetallic cables) could be used - especially with the absence of any specific listed fitting.

But, fittings listed for AC cable or MC cable would not be suitable. They are designed for metallic sheath cables.

* I wonder if the 'buttons' are suitable in regards to securing the small diameter cable to the box, as pullout strength of those may not be strong enough???

Status
Not open for further replies.