raceway versus raceway and ground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
we just recently went through inspection on a parallel feeder and was asked if we could guarantee the fittings were wrench tight

For what it is worth there is no general requirement for that.

There are requirements for that for service raceways and raceways in hazardous locations.

kwired

Electron manager
The containers I work on are dropped 5' off the ground as a final test.

Why? 'Cause the military has a bad habit of parachuting them out a C-5 or such.:D

There is probably more vibration when in the C-5, dropping it is more of a shock:happyyes:

Volta

For what it is worth there is no general requirement for that.

There are requirements for that for service raceways and raceways in hazardous locations.

Exactly that? True enough. But they do come really close:

NEC 250.120 said:
Equipment Grounding Conductor Installation.
An equipment grounding conductor shall be installed in accordance with 250.120(A), (B), and (C). (A) Raceway, Cable Trays, Cable Armor, Cablebus, or Cable Sheaths. Where it consists of a raceway, cable tray, cable armor, cablebus framework, or cable sheath or where it is a wire within a raceway or cable, it shall be installed in accordance with the applicable provisions in this Code using fittings for joints and terminations approved for use with the type raceway or cable used. All connections, joints, and fittings shall be made tight using suitable tools.

peter d

Seen that so many times. Quite often with all MC wiring.

I think the worst offenders are J-boxes where EMT comes out of a panel and transitions to MC cable. I once opened up a j-box like that and there must have been at least 20 #12's in a large blue wingnut. :blink: I have no idea how they even managed to twist the wire nut on. They must have used a ratchet handle and socket. :roll:

DW98

Thanks to all for your responses and input. I realize it's a matter of weighing the cost of increased conduit and additional wire versus the extra margin of safety should fittings come loose. So i just wanted to toss this post out there to see which way is more prevalent, and what others thoughts are. Thanks again for the input.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I realize it's a matter of weighing the cost of increased conduit and additional wire versus the extra margin of safety should fittings come loose.... .
The loose fitting is always the reason given for adding a wire EGC. If you are on a rooftop or in a wood structure I could see a case to be made, however, most conduit runs are not.

Usually conduit is run up a wall on steel uni-strut, across steel roof joists, down into a wall made of steel studs. It's all strapped and secured using steel, and there are also other conduits leaving the panel.

There are so many parallel paths for a fault current to find its way back to the breaker I think a loose fitting is covered without needing a wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.