Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolfan

I'm working on a project where I have to install LED drivers in a gutter. There made by Phillips and are the same size as a magnetic ballast with a black and a white for 120V power on one end and low voltage load wires on the other. I plan to have them stacked vertically end to end in the gutter but I don't know how or if I even need to worry about separating the two different sets of wires. I have a feeing that this is going to be hard to get an inspection on, or am I just worrying about nothing. I would love and need your opinion or advice please.

GBBOLT

???

???

Think you stumped everyone with that one. As long as you are running class 1 low volt cables I think the wiring portion is ok. Not sure about bundling the drivers though.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm working on a project where I have to install LED drivers in a gutter. There made by Phillips and are the same size as a magnetic ballast with a black and a white for 120V power on one end and low voltage load wires on the other. I plan to have them stacked vertically end to end in the gutter but I don't know how or if I even need to worry about separating the two different sets of wires. I have a feeing that this is going to be hard to get an inspection on, or am I just worrying about nothing. I would love and need your opinion or advice please.
There may be a restriction on the length of the leads between the driver and the LEDs. (Although not as severe as you would have for a fluorescent ballast!)
There will be high frequency voltage pulses on the wires (typically between 20kHz and 50kHz) which may cause a problem to other devices, so watch where you run the driver to LED wiring. Avoid audio wiring!

Dolfan

this is a custom design/build project and the gutter that will hold the drivers is also going to hold something else and is being made out of stainless steel. They hope to get a UL on it after it is complete. I'm supplying labor and as much knowledge as possible to be able to make it work. The wire is rated for 600V but can I splice line and load in the gutter together?

PetrosA

this is a custom design/build project and the gutter that will hold the drivers is also going to hold something else and is being made out of stainless steel. They hope to get a UL on it after it is complete. I'm supplying labor and as much knowledge as possible to be able to make it work. The wire is rated for 600V but can I splice line and load in the gutter together?

This shouldn't be a problem. It's common (and even necessary) to have contacts, relays, drivers etc. in a single enclosure with both 120V and 12V wiring. I just did it for an LED install like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.