Open door hides disconnect: NEC violation or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified
My basic question is, is it a violation for a main disconnect enclosure to be hidden from view when an ajoining panel's door is open?

We're designing a 3p/480V/30A control panel that will have an externally mounted main disconnect switch. This external disconnect enclosure would be mounted directly to the left side of the control panel. The concern is that if the control panel's door is open then it would hide or cover up the disconnect enclosure.

Mounting it on the right side or having opposite opening doors is not an option at this point.

thanks,

raider1

Staff member
Provided that there is working clearance around the disconnect when the cover is closed, there would be no violation if the cover blocked the view of the disconnect when it was open.

Chris

jumper

Provided that there is working clearance around the disconnect when the cover is closed, there would be no violation if the cover blocked the view of the disconnect when it was open.

Chris

Chris, how is the blocked disconnect within sight if it cannot be seen at all times?

Nit pit pick question, not for an actual install.

I suppose one could say the code does not say "at all times." IDK

In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight).
Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be ?in
sight from,? ?within sight from,? or ?within sight of,? and
so forth, another equipment, the specified equipment is to be
visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Chris, how is the blocked disconnect within sight if it cannot be seen at all times?

Nit pit pick question, not for an actual install.

I suppose one could say the code does not say "at all times." IDK

In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight).
Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be ?in
sight from,? ?within sight from,? or ?within sight of,? and
so forth, another equipment, the specified equipment is to be
visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.

It may be a stretch to say "at all times", but it seems it could be a moot point if the control box to the right of the disconnect has the door arranged to only open 90 degrees. Off the top of my head I recall that a hinged cover only has to open 90 degreees.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
... how is the blocked disconnect within sight if it cannot be seen at all times?

In reality there are very few instances, in the NEC, that require disconnects to be 'in sight'. For the majority of situations, lockable disconnects can always be hidden from view.

As far as the NEC goes, disconnects are not usually 'emergency shut down' equipment which must have unrestricted access.

pfalcon

My basic question is, is it a violation for a main disconnect enclosure to be hidden from view when an ajoining panel's door is open?
This external disconnect enclosure would be mounted directly to the left side of the control panel. The concern is that if the control panel's door is open then it would hide or cover up the disconnect enclosure.

In the US at least, OSHA has stated that machine tools will be evaluated per NFPA79 unless the company has adopted other electrical standards for machine tools. So from the sound of this OSHA would rule it a violation.

NFPA79:2012:5.3.4.2.1 said:
Be readily accessible with the doors in the open or closed position
NFPA79:2012:5.3.4.2.3 said:
Not be restricted by the enclosure door when the door is in the open position

Status
Not open for further replies.