Wiremold 3000??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundowner

Hi Guys

I have kind of a strange deal...huge fitness area just installed new digital clocks on the walls all over the place. The building guy hung several of these units and they came in with about a 10 foot SJ type cord. I have receps in the wall just for the idea of hanging clocks, flat screen or other work out related devices. So my guy mounted these clocks about a foot away.

The front desk gal who runs the show asked if I couldn't do something to hide the long dangling cord, she actually suggested some kind of "holder or something" I could attach to the wall and gather the cord up into to try and make it look a little neater.

(I know what your thinking already...should ahve just called the electrician in the first place and had him nail on a 16 inch piece of 3000 and be done!)

My question is simple - can I just fold the cord into a short piece of wiremold 3000 and snap the cover on and be done, or is there some code requirement I'm missing. I've been over 250 - don't see anything to prohibit me. Been over to conduit - says a conduit sytem must be complete.

Any thoughts on this guys??

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
3000 seems huge for a clock cord.

But either 400.7 or 400.8 prohibits putting cords in raceways.

What you do with that info is up to you.

sundowner

Thanks iwire....I'll have to share the info, back it up with a code reference now and schmooze the "front desk gal" into something else.

Thanks again!!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hi Guys

I have kind of a strange deal...huge fitness area just installed new digital clocks on the walls all over the place. The building guy hung several of these units and they came in with about a 10 foot SJ type cord. I have receps in the wall just for the idea of hanging clocks, flat screen or other work out related devices. So my guy mounted these clocks about a foot away.

The front desk gal who runs the show asked if I couldn't do something to hide the long dangling cord, she actually suggested some kind of "holder or something" I could attach to the wall and gather the cord up into to try and make it look a little neater.

(I know what your thinking already...should ahve just called the electrician in the first place and had him nail on a 16 inch piece of 3000 and be done!)

My question is simple - can I just fold the cord into a short piece of wiremold 3000 and snap the cover on and be done, or is there some code requirement I'm missing. I've been over 250 - don't see anything to prohibit me. Been over to conduit - says a conduit sytem must be complete.

Any thoughts on this guys??

Thanks

If you fold a two wire cord back and forth twice, you have, in effect, 10 current carrying conductors instead of two in the raceway. (or sheath, or whatever). The wires in question in this case are not carrying much current, but in other cases that could be a bad idea.
As an alternative you can get "cord holders" that just provide a way to coil up the cord and leave the coil in the open. Would still look better than dangling cord.

P.S. It's 400.8(6). But a piece of wiremold stuck on the wall is not necessarily being used as a raceway. I would not argue if called on it though.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Why so much cord in the first place?

Is the cord designed so that it would be easy to shorten or replace with a shorter length?

Is the cord a standard on every unit or an option that is added?

Status
Not open for further replies.