Three phase motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerjwillelec

Has anyone ever swapped the 6 and 9 leads on the low voltage wiring side of a three phase motor? I can't differentiate between them...they each have a " . " next to them. I've seen and used the "lines" under the number before but never the dots next to the number.

Anyway...what would happen if they were swapped?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Has anyone ever swapped the 6 and 9 leads on the low voltage wiring side of a three phase motor? I can't differentiate between them...they each have a " . " next to them. I've seen and used the "lines" under the number before but never the dots next to the number.
Most liklely, if the dot is not at the center of the number, it is either before or after the base (lower) end of the number. Like a decimal point either before or after the digit.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Most liklely, if the dot is not at the center of the number, it is either before or after the base (lower) end of the number. Like a decimal point either before or after the digit.

Also take a look at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener.../137224-9_lead_3ph_ac_motor_wire_numbers.html
It looks like for a 9-lead motor 6 and 9 get connected to each other in a high voltage (series) configuration so no problem. In a low voltage connection interchanging the two will put two windings of the incorrect rotation position in parallel. This will be very bad and the motor may fail to run and also draw excessive current.
An ohmmeter will tell you which terminal number is at the other end of that winding, and that will identify it.

ronaldrc

With a 9 lead motor 3 and 6 are one winding. If you can seperate your windings and ring them out
the one that rings out with #3 should be #6.

Ronald ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.