Control panel working clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am struggling with an issue and hoping you can help clarify for me. I have a control panel mounted on a machine frame (grounded) at about 5' (from top of the panel to ground). The panel is 18" deep, and has more than 30" on each side clearance. Opposite from this panel is an aisleway (ie. not a wall). The panel is 24" in height. In front of this panel near ground level, the electrician ran a couple of conduits 22" from the machine frame ( meaning that these conduits is below the panel on the ground). My question is does this violate the 3' clearance rule regarding depth since 22" is within the 36" depth clearance not directly in front of the panel but below it.

If it is a violation, what options do we have because we will not be able to reroute these conduits.

Thank you in advance.

Francis.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If it is a violation, what options do we have because we will not be able to reroute these conduits.

Thank you in advance.

Francis.
Build a permanent work platform of the size of the required working area which covers the conduits.

Then put on OSHA approved handrails so nobody falls off. :)

pfalcon

The working clearance extends all the way down to the "service level" which is where the guy has to stand to service the control panel.
GoldDigger has proposed one viable solution.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I do not understand your description of the installation.
In front of this panel near ground level, the electrician ran a couple of conduits 22" from the machine frame ( meaning that these conduits is below the panel on the ground).
Are the conduits under the panel or in front of it? If you took the cardboard box that a refrigerator would be shipped in, and set it right up against the front face of the panel, would the box be resting on the conduits, or are the conduits under the panel, so that the box sits on the ground? If the conduits are under the panel, you might be OK. If they are in front of the panel, then it is a violation.

By the way, someone once gave me the refrigerator box concept for describing working clearance requirements. I loved it, so I am passing it along.

Status
Not open for further replies.