Emergency Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG_1

Hello.

I have a question regarding emergency systems as defined in NEC Article 700. I know that emergency and normal power circuits cannot be installed in the same conduit. What about emergency and normal power panelboards, can they be located in the same room? If not where in the NEC is this stated?

Thanks

raider1

Staff member
Yes emergency panels and normal power panels are permitted to be located in the same room. This is a very common installation practice.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
Hello.

I have a question regarding emergency systems as defined in NEC Article 700. I know that emergency and normal power circuits cannot be installed in the same conduit. What about emergency and normal power panelboards, can they be located in the same room? If not where in the NEC is this stated?

Thanks

You are from MA so the answer is no you cannot put emergency distribution equipment in the same room as non emergency equipment if the work is being done in MA

It is in the MA amendments

When I get home I can post it.

This becomes an issue with prefabed elelectric rooms often or out of state designer

DMG_1

iwire. If you could post it that would be great. I am looking in the Mass Amendments under Article 700 and I do not see anything indicating that there needs to be separation. Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
iwire. If you could post it that would be great. I am looking in the Mass Amendments under Article 700 and I do not see anything indicating that there needs to be separation. Thanks.

Well it seems they took away the amendment for 2011.

If you look at 2008 or previous you will see that 700.9(D) was heavily amended.

Now I look for it in the 2011 and I do not see it, either it was a mistake or they decided to get rid of it.

iwire

Staff member
I have to say I am very surprised it is gone.

It was my understanding the amendment went in after a an electrical fire in the main electrical room of a large Boston hotel.

The main gear burned up and took out the emergency equipment in the same room leaving a high rise hotel in the dark during evacuation.

mgookin

I have to say I am very surprised it is gone.

It was my understanding the amendment went in after a an electrical fire in the main electrical room of a large Boston hotel.

The main gear burned up and took out the emergency equipment in the same room leaving a high rise hotel in the dark during evacuation.

Wow! In Fire College we watched videos of the MGM Grand burning in Las Vegas as well as the Dupont (arson) somewhere out in the Carribbean (Puerto Rico maybe). Both very bad fires. Imagine that in the dark!

NFPA 110

NFPA 110

Yes emergency panels and normal power panels are permitted to be located in the same room. This is a very common installation practice.

Chris

I believe there are restrictions in NFPA 110 7.2.2 for this type of installation. For Level 1 systems, "EPSS equipment shall not be installed in the same room with the normal service equipment, where the service equipment is rated over 150 volts to ground and equal to or greater than 1000 amperes."

raider1

Staff member
I believe there are restrictions in NFPA 110 7.2.2 for this type of installation. For Level 1 systems, "EPSS equipment shall not be installed in the same room with the normal service equipment, where the service equipment is rated over 150 volts to ground and equal to or greater than 1000 amperes."

Not all municipalities adopt NFPA 110. I was only responding with the NEC requirements.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.