Flourescent luminaires

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I can't find the answer to this.
Are we allowed by the NEC to install 4 ft 2 tube surface mount flourescent luminaires on 30 amp circuits?
I don't want to do this but if it is allowed by code I have nothing to stand on other than "I don't like it"
And that doesn't carry a lot of weight around here......

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree that is the NEC answer, but it has always bothered me. If the branch circuit supplies a fluorescent ballast, what difference does it make what type lampholder it has.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
I agree that is the NEC answer, but it has always bothered me. If the branch circuit supplies a fluorescent ballast, what difference does it make what type lampholder it has.

Could you post that section? I have left for the day and my code book is still there. ;o)
Or paraphrase what it says?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(B) 30-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 30-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply fixed lighting units with heavy-duty lampholders in other than a dwelling unit(s) or
utilization equipment in any occupancy. A rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
(B) 30-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 30-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply fixed lighting units with heavy-duty lampholders in other than a dwelling unit(s) or
utilization equipment in any occupancy. A rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.

So a tombstone in a flourescent fixture is not considered heavy duty and it would no be allowed?
That is my take on it anyway.......

kwired

Electron manager
I have asked similar question here before regarding T5 HO luminaires, and have gotten pretty much same response.

You could have 50 amp circuit supplying HID's and be ok, but convert them to T5's and you may need to rework the branch circuits even though your end result uses less current.

Status
Not open for further replies.