250.64 (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Had an pole mounted outdoor 200amp breaker in a feed through panel for a mobile home melt due to fire ants. Since there were no outdoor circuits being used I replaced the panel with a 3R 200 amp single breaker as the service disconnect. I reused the GEC wire from the original rod to the panel and installed another rod 6 ft away tying them together with a #6 bonding jumper. Inspector failed it saying that under the 2011 the GEC must be continuous. When I questioned him saying the wire to the second rod was a bonding jumper and that the GEC from the first rod to the buss bar was continuous. he stated that since I replaced the disconnect the system was a "new" system and the conductor must be continuous from panel to 1st and 2nd rod. In an effort to get the people their power restored I am replacing the wire to appease him. I have never been questioned on doing this and Roger posted an illustration ( that I cant find) showing that it was code compliant or am I missing a code change? I don't see it in 250.64(C)

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Had an pole mounted outdoor 200amp breaker in a feed through panel for a mobile home melt due to fire ants. Since there were no outdoor circuits being used I replaced the panel with a 3R 200 amp single breaker as the service disconnect. I reused the GEC wire from the original rod to the panel and installed another rod 6 ft away tying them together with a #6 bonding jumper. Inspector failed it saying that under the 2011 the GEC must be continuous. When I questioned him saying the wire to the second rod was a bonding jumper and that the GEC from the first rod to the buss bar was continuous. he stated that since I replaced the disconnect the system was a "new" system and the conductor must be continuous from panel to 1st and 2nd rod. In an effort to get the people their power restored I am replacing the wire to appease him. I have never been questioned on doing this and Roger posted an illustration ( that I cant find) showing that it was code compliant or am I missing a code change? I don't see it in 250.64(C)

Your inspector is missing it, this was added for clarification in 2011

(1)
spacer.gif
Splicing of the wire-type grounding electrode conductor shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the exothermic welding process.

ceb58

Your inspector is missing it, this was added for clarification in 2011

(1)
spacer.gif
Splicing of the wire-type grounding electrode conductor shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the exothermic welding process.
I think you have misunderstood. He is saying that you can no longer use a separate wire from the first rod to the second with separate clamps as a bonding jumper. It all must be continuous.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I find nothing that prohibits you from connecting one grounding electrode to another using an listed connector such as an acorn clamp on the rod or split bolt on the conductor

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I think you have misunderstood. He is saying that you can no longer use a separate wire from the first rod to the second with separate clamps as a bonding jumper. It all must be continuous.

That may be what he is telling you but it is incorrect. Short of it being a local code 250.64 C has not changed since its inception other than what I posted for 2011 and it was for clarity

ceb58

That's it. I knew you were good for something:happyyes:. The only thing is 250.56 was removed from the 2011. But they moved it around and that part is under 250.53 (C)
C) Bonding Jumper. The bonding jumper(s) used to connect
the grounding electrodes together to form the grounding
electrode system shall be installed in accordance with
250.64(A), (B), and (E), shall be sized in accordance with
250.66, and shall be connected in the manner specified in

Status
Not open for further replies.