ADA Receptacle Accessibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcorbin

I'm inspecting a job I did not design, so I'm already a lit confuzzled, and I could use some help.

It's a residence hall.

The "2 foot" NEC rule for counter top receptacles is in play.

However, it is an ADA unit.

I noticed the receptacles above the L-shaped counter were more than 48 inches apart.

When asked why there wasn't one closer to the corner, the electrician stated it wouldn't meet ADA; i.e., someone in a wheelchair couldn't reach the receptacle if it weren't directly in front of one of the front edges of the counter.

Can anyone confirm this, and perhaps lead me to the applicable code?

Ironically, if they had simply installed the receptacle closer to the corner, but still in front of the inside counter edge, they could still have met the NEC requirement, as the receptacle in question is probably only 10 inches from the stove counter cutout.

I don't want to be a jerk, but the code is what it is.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I'm inspecting a job I did not design, so I'm already a lit confuzzled, and I could use some help.

It's a residence hall.

The "2 foot" NEC rule for counter top receptacles is in play.

However, it is an ADA unit.

I noticed the receptacles above the L-shaped counter were more than 48 inches apart.

When asked why there wasn't one closer to the corner, the electrician stated it wouldn't meet ADA; i.e., someone in a wheelchair couldn't reach the receptacle if it weren't directly in front of one of the front edges of the counter.

Can anyone confirm this, and perhaps lead me to the applicable code?

Ironically, if they had simply installed the receptacle closer to the corner, but still in front of the inside counter edge, they could still have met the NEC requirement, as the receptacle in question is probably only 10 inches from the stove counter cutout.

I don't want to be a jerk, but the code is what it is.

Take a look at ADA section 308 There is a reach criteria, I do not have the specifics on this computor

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't think meeting ADA standards overides other applicable codes, but click HERE for the latest (I think) ADA accessibility design information. Go to chapter 3

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with Roger in that NEC and ADA are two separate codes. One may require things the other does not. If one would prohibit something that the other one requires is when there would be a problem, otherwise additional receptacles may be necessary to satisfy both codes.

sandsnow

I'm not familiar with ADA since here in CA we enforce The CA Accessibility Code rules from the CA Bldg Code. Anyway in our rules there is a provision which I cannot quote exactly. The provision allows for equivalent provisions for accessibility.

So when we did those L shaped counters we would lay it out per NEC and note which receptacles were not accessible. We would then add additional receptacles in an accessible location to make up for the one which was not accessible.

So it eneded up being as kwired said. It has been a while since that project, but for an L shaped counter it only involved one additional receptacle in most cases. For one unit it was only two or three additional.

mwm1752

Basically the ADA recepticle layout for a corner L kitchen cabinet would show 1 recept at least 3" from the corner. The code allows, with exception, that at one recept not need to conform to ADA layout, which helps in order to meet the NEC code. The interpretation comes from the paralell approach reach, which is perpendicular from the body --so backed up in a wheel chair from the 2' cabinet + 1' for center of side arm with a 46" max to at least one recept of the duplex. If in question add another recept NEC code is minimum.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I don't see why it would hurt to have a receptacle above a countertop even if it is not within ADA required locations. This receptacle may be necessary to comply with NEC in some cases. Now I could see an ADA problem if the mentioned receptacle above the countertop were a GFCI and had load side receptacles within the ADA required zones, then the disabled user may not be able to reset the GFCI if needed.

mwm1752

Fully accessible & type A units are not that common. Simple planning should problem solve any issues. Type B units are less restrictive. Plan review should pick up on issues & a good GC would make sure tradesmen are aware.

bcorbin

I have both fully accessible and "B" type units. My issue is that the outlets don't meet NEC. Luckily, moving some receptacles to make them meet NEC should still leave them within ADA accessibility guidelines.

Thanks for all the great information and thought-starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.