Grounding for 600 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbakelis

Hello All,

I'm working on wiring up a restaurant (building built in 60's or 70's) remodel that has an existing 600 AmpZinsco service. 5 feet away from that main service there was ("was" because the plumbers relocated it) a 2" water pipe that stubbed out from which there was a 1" conduit carrying a wire that bonded to that pipe. Is that the main grounding method? Should I just bond it again to the nearest location or should I run all the way to the water main? What is code for grounding this service? Is there usually a ufer hiding under the panel somewhere?

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks for all the help.

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
If this pipe is no longer in use it is no longer the "water pipe" electrode. It can still be called a pipe electrode and is optional to use if it meets qualifications of a pipe electrode (which it probably does).

If the new piping location is a qualifying electrode you must bond to it, and within 5 feet of entrance to the building or structure.

As mentioned read 250.50 as well as 250.52 which 250.50 directs you to parts of anyway.

tbakelis

There is no ufer... So sounds like ill need to pound a ground rod in as we'll as bond the water at the main. What size ground wire do I use for 600 Amp service? #1?

kwired

Electron manager
There is no ufer... So sounds like ill need to pound a ground rod in as we'll as bond the water at the main. What size ground wire do I use for 600 Amp service? #1?

Depends on size and type of service conductors, not the fact it is a 600 amp service.

Status
Not open for further replies.