3 Phase Siemens induction motor, 6 leads wiring method

Status
Not open for further replies.

nazirie

Hi all,

I'm Nazirie from malaysia. I having difficulties regarding to the motor connection at the terminal block. The motor having 6 leads wire that i don't know how to connect whether in star or delta connection. I using direct on line DOL starter to start the motor. The motor comes with 6 leads that connect together by numbering 1-1, 2-2, 3-3. When i measure for the continuity, there's no "beep" sound that hear from my multimeter for this pairing. Is't true if i connect the pair 1-1 for line 1, and 2-2 for line 2, and 3-3 for line 3. I having problem for this connection cause my contactor burn's up. Attach here is my motor name plate. Hope anyone can help me. My motor type is explosion proof motor.

Attachments

• 2013-03-26 15.48.55.jpg
    2013-03-26 15.48.55.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1
Hi all,

I'm Nazirie from malaysia. I having difficulties regarding to the motor connection at the terminal block. The motor having 6 leads wire that i don't know how to connect whether in star or delta connection. I using direct on line DOL starter to start the motor. The motor comes with 6 leads that connect together by numbering 1-1, 2-2, 3-3. When i measure for the continuity, there's no "beep" sound that hear from my multimeter for this pairing. Is't true if i connect the pair 1-1 for line 1, and 2-2 for line 2, and 3-3 for line 3. I having problem for this connection cause my contactor burn's up. Attach here is my motor name plate. Hope anyone can help me. My motor type is explosion proof motor.

You should have gotten a wiring diagram form the seller, and Siemens will be happy to help you out if you can get a hold of them. This would be my first course of action.

What you describe does not correspond to any of the wiring diagrams here: http://w3.usa.siemens.com/us/SiteCo...net/Products/AppManSectionAll-Rev1-061608.pdf

Most likely that you have DWG. #51-697-465 as shown on page 754. To verify, keep the old numbering on the leads, but disconnect and see if you can isolate the three separate windings and then connect them as per the diagram.

nazirie

Thanks for your kinds help. Now i have some idea to do this. Anyways, this motor comes with pump and motor starter. Probably they did't test before deliver to us. Based on nameplate, there only star (Y) display for the connection. Six leads wire can be combine and form star or delta connection right. In my case that used DOL starter, what type of connection that suitable for this kind of motor. So much theory since i searching for this info.

ronaldrc

Sounds like it can be used with a part winding starter if needed.

This way on starting only one winding is connected untill the motor gets started.
Then the other winding will be connected for full load.

kwired

Electron manager
being 150 HP I would guess it is designed for part winding start or wye delta start.

Usually there is a connection diagram for start and run, but apparently yours is missing for some reason.

Are you saying there are two leads marked 1, two leads marked 2 and two leads marked 3?

If so it is a little odd they don't have 6 different markings to identify what is what.

eHunter

being 150 HP I would guess it is designed for part winding start or wye delta start.

Usually there is a connection diagram for start and run, but apparently yours is missing for some reason.

Are you saying there are two leads marked 1, two leads marked 2 and two leads marked 3?

If so it is a little odd they don't have 6 different markings to identify what is what.

I believe the windings are factory configured as a Y or YY... unless it has been rewound differently or the leads have been relabeled???
See: http://w3.usa.siemens.com/us/interne... RGZESD MS.pdf

kwired

Electron manager
I believe the windings are factory configured as a Y or YY... unless it has been rewound differently or the leads have been relabeled???
See: http://w3.usa.siemens.com/us/interne... RGZESD MS.pdf

The motor in your link is a two speed motor. I was thinking of suggesting two speed to the OP, but what we can see of the nameplate in the OP isn't looking too promising to be 2 speed. But a picture of the entire nameplate could reveal otherwise.

eHunter

That's a multi-speed motor winding. What makes you think that is what the OP has? The nameplate indicates it otherwise.

Yes it is.
I don't.
You and kwired are correct, I did not look at the nameplate image or the pdf close enough before posting the link.
However, none of the Siemens winding diagrams I have or have seen are labeled as the OP indicates.

Last edited:

nazirie

Yes, two leads are combine together, but that not pair for both of the combination.

Besoeker

We are in kuala lumpur in Malaysia. I will snap the full nameplate picture and maybe we can discuss more.
OK.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at the full nameplate when you post it. And help if I can.
I spent a little time in KL - beautiful city. Most of my time was in Dengkil (Sepang) and on drives on a tin mining barge in the jungle.
The insects took a liking to me. I can't say it was mutual.

nazirie

hi all,

thanks for your feedback. This forum's really helpful.

Please see attachment. The red line that i draw is the connection that i make at the back of the terminal junction. Based on my boss that correct. but until today i still not believe that connection. between of those is not a pair. Can anyone tell me how to find a pair of the winding and how to connect with star (Y) connection cause at the nameplate, there only (Y) connection displays.

Attachments

• 2013-07-15 15.16.39.jpg
    2013-07-15 15.16.39.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2013-03-26 15.52.00.jpg
    2013-03-26 15.52.00.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1

nazirie

OK.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at the full nameplate when you post it. And help if I can.
I spent a little time in KL - beautiful city. Most of my time was in Dengkil (Sepang) and on drives on a tin mining barge in the jungle.
The insects took a liking to me. I can't say it was mutual.

Ya...So, you have been here before. hope you like the environment here. Dengkil(Sepang) near the KLIA airport. lucky that you just in the oil palm tree jungle. and the jungle is near the city. When will you comes again?

Besoeker

hi all,

Please see attachment. The red line that i draw is the connection that i make at the back of the terminal junction. Based on my boss that correct. but until today i still not believe that connection. between of those is not a pair. Can anyone tell me how to find a pair of the winding and how to connect with star (Y) connection cause at the nameplate, there only (Y) connection displays.
If you take out the connections (jumpers) between the terminals you should have the six ends, two per winding. You can then use a meter to find out which terminals are the ends of each winding.
The connections, as shown, do not look like a star configuration.

hi all,

So it seems to me that you have the traditional EU winding setup. Let's name the top three terminals X, Y, Z and the bottom row U, V, W. The three windings are between X-V, Y-W and Z-U. The horting bars are placed either vertically between the top and bottom terminals for Delta and horizontally between the three bottoms for Wye connection. Or all six leads are bought back to the starter for D/Y start, all shorting bars are unused in thet case.

nazirie

So it seems to me that you have the traditional EU winding setup. Let's name the top three terminals X, Y, Z and the bottom row U, V, W. The three windings are between X-V, Y-W and Z-U. The horting bars are placed either vertically between the top and bottom terminals for Delta and horizontally between the three bottoms for Wye connection. Or all six leads are bought back to the starter for D/Y start, all shorting bars are unused in thet case.

Thanks a lot. I will find any info and do what should i do right now. Hope that we will be able to discuss anymore.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Hi all,

Looks like a two speed motor, inverter rated. There a many ways to hook it up. Pages 562-564 are the wiring diagrams

Try This:http://w3.usa.siemens.com/us/SiteCo...net/Products/AppManSectionAll-Rev1-061608.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.