Exhaust Fan Situation !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le7316

Suppose you have an exhaust fan currently connected to 480V 3phase panel (20 amp 3pole breaker) and if I want to relocate to another building which only has 120/208V 3phase ...what would you do in this situation to make this exhaust fan works ? what are my options here ?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Suppose you have an exhaust fan currently connected to 480V 3phase panel (20 amp 3pole breaker) and if I want to relocate to another building which only has 120/208V 3phase ...what would you do in this situation to make this exhaust fan works ?
What ever it takes to get the job done.
what are my options here ?
Chances are the motor will run on the lower voltage if the windings are connected correctly. What does your electrician have to say about this?

Le7316

Let's say im going to replace the motor with 208v 3phase ( is there anything else I need to consider before the replacement ? ) or get one of the boost transformer ... which one you recommend ?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you simply change voltage connections on your motor, your motor starter size may end up being too small. If you add a transformer ahead of it, you must add a local disconnect for the transformer too. Either way, there are a number of code issues involved in this.

You are not an Electrician, are you?

Le7316

You are right im not an electrician but an EE (just graduated last year) so yes I don't have much experience like everyone here . I've been following up this forum for a while and decided to join yesterday so I can ask & learn it from here...Anyways, I haven't got a chance to look at the data plate on the motor yet but I will soon if I can get someone to climb up there :)

Volta

Well, welcome! There is a great range of experience here, old-timers to people who haven't even started a career yet, but are considering these electrical trades.

kwired

Electron manager
You are right im not an electrician but an EE (just graduated last year) so yes I don't have much experience like everyone here . I've been following up this forum for a while and decided to join yesterday so I can ask & learn it from here...Anyways, I haven't got a chance to look at the data plate on the motor yet but I will soon if I can get someone to climb up there :)

Why can't you climp up there? You will be better informed of what is there if you see it for yourself than to trust what someone else thinks they saw. The experience will make you a better EE also.:happyyes:

Le7316

Why can't you climp up there? You will be better informed of what is there if you see it for yourself than to trust what someone else thinks they saw. The experience will make you a better EE also.:happyyes:

Hehe I'm not supposed to climb up there !!! The shop will do it ..I will be in trouble if I do it :) . Will update when I get the nameplate ...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Suppose you have an exhaust fan currently connected to 480V 3phase panel (20 amp 3pole breaker) and if I want to relocate to another building which only has 120/208V 3phase ...what would you do in this situation to make this exhaust fan works ? what are my options here ?

If you can't rewire the existing motor to accommodate the new voltage it may well end up being less costly to just buy a new fan with the correct voltage motor rather than spend a lot of time trying to reuse something.

Status
Not open for further replies.