Aprentice that needs adivise

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

What planet are you on that you are assuming a contractor is billing out a six month apprentice at $100 an hour?

And I think I know enough about the business on what contractors are charging out for their help.

I don't think an apprentice or even a journeymen is ever billed out at $100 an hour. You pay labor rates to include all the resources provided by the company.

The labor cost for a job may be billed at $100 an hour but this includes much more than what it cost to hire an employee.

If you were to send one journeyman and one apprentice on a one hour service call and bill $200 in labor what exactly does this mean? Does this mean that you paid the apprentice his $8 and the journeyman his $20 and make a $172 profit? This $200 in labor cost has to cover all the cost of putting these two men on the job for that one hour service call. These cost may include advertising, insurance, office rental, telephone, vehicle, fuel, tools and inventory.

It may look as if the customer is paying $100 an hour for a 6 month apprentice but that's really not the case.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
when I got out of school the place I worked at had a drafter who was making almost as much at his 2 night a week job delivering pizza as his FT job as a drafter.

He later got a 3rd PT job selling souvenir tee shirts and such at the local stadium. He said he made as much there in an evening as he did 2 days at his regular job.

Last edited:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I don't think an apprentice or even a journeymen is ever billed out at $100 an hour. You pay labor rates to include all the resources provided by the company.

The labor cost for a job may be billed at $100 an hour but this includes much more than what it cost to hire an employee.

If you were to send one journeyman and one apprentice on a one hour service call and bill $200 in labor what exactly does this mean? Does this mean that you paid the apprentice his $8 and the journeyman his $20 and make a $172 profit? This $200 in labor cost has to cover all the cost of putting these two men on the job for that one hour service call. These cost may include advertising, insurance, office rental, telephone, vehicle, fuel, tools and inventory.

It may look as if the customer is paying $100 an hour for a 6 month apprentice but that's really not the case.
I am aware of the business costs and the labor costs,anyone running an electrical contracting firm should be able to pay wages that will be enough so his lowest employees are not suffering from starvation .

I'm not saying that we should be starting out green apprentices at $25 an hour but $15 an hour
Is affordable, at least around here it is.

If we want to make top dollar as business owners then we must pay our employees a professional rate of pay.

It makes a lot more difficult to sell the product when the client thinks this work should be done by low wage workers,instead of properly compensated professionals .

All green apprentice start out at that wage my buddy was a 3 year apprentice and was making 12.50 and when he finished school with my company he's getting paid 16 now and it's 125 hour plus fuel charge not including material he does price things out but most of the time that's how it works and to show up at some house they bill 125 bucks I can't tell you how many old people with trip gfci we charged to just press the button for them but remember what the customer don't know will not hurt them just like other people that buys goods made in another counrty that some one made for 1.00 and they chargd you 100 bucks but a lot people only care about the price and is it fixed yet

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
All green apprentice start out at that wage my buddy was a 3 year apprentice and was making 12.50 and when he finished school with my company he's getting paid 16 now and it's 125 hour plus fuel charge not including material he does price things out but most of the time that's how it works and to show up at some house they bill 125 bucks I can't tell you how many old people with trip gfci we charged to just press the button for them but remember what the customer don't know will not hurt them just like other people that buys goods made in another counrty that some one made for 1.00 and they chargd you 100 bucks but a lot people only care about the price and is it fixed yet

Keep in mind that just to go to a house and reset a breaker or a GFCI costs money,how's your boss supposed to pay you if he does not charge for even a call like that?:lol:

This is what we are paid for so keep that in mind,he's not running a charity..:roll:

growler

That's how they are making thier money and it makes me feel worthless when some who works at McDonald's makes more then me and I work twice as hard

I have worked where the security guards and fork lift drivers were paid better than a journeyman electrician.

You have to figure out what you want to do in life and then figure out how to get paid for doing it.

I would not want to be a security guard or a fork life driver and I sure as keck wouldn't want to work in a restaurant. You don't see many security guards or fork lift drivers starting their own business and even a restaurant is very risky.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I was making $8 an hour back in the early 80's.

You don't have to leave your job to look for a new one. You can keep working and look around, just don't advertise it. If you need time off for an interview, just say you have a doctors appointment.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Become valuable and you can get the big bucks, don't expect to get the big bucks as an incentive. Right now you are too replaceable, that is what to try to change.

But do try to find a better paying job. Or maybe have a polite conversation with your boss?

Guy in Paramus needs GFCI reset, can you run over after work and do it for free please? May become monthly routine, good steady work, of course you won't ever be able to charge for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.