Water Heater Timers ( Are They Worth It ? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Was asked about Water heater Timers and are they worth it . Was told it's a 30 gal tank and just 1 person living in the house . I've heard pro's and con's over the years . I haven't done residental in years so I wanted to see what the latest thoughts on this is ....

masterinbama

Unless the occupants follow a very strict schedule I don't think they will save enough to payback the cost for quite some time. A good insulation blanket will more than likely save more.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
TOU

TOU

A good experiment is to check the water temperature before you will be gone for a day or two, then after returning. It will almost certainly show that tank losses are low, and the only way a timer can save money is if the homeowner has time of use pricing and uses the timer to avoid the expensive part of the day.

kwired

Electron manager
Unless the occupants follow a very strict schedule I don't think they will save enough to payback the cost for quite some time. A good insulation blanket will more than likely save more.
If you live in a northern area, you are only losing energy during cooling season. During heating season the energy lost from the water heater is gained by the space it is in and you have that much less heating demand. This makes the payback period even longer when the lost energy isn't exactly lost.

growler

That's what I tell customers but some people want them anyway so I do install a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.